100 Most Difficult Piano Pieces (up to 1920) It's live!

i think nobody can touch Sokolov in the Shoe 3rd. it’s complete and total technical/m*sical command… and he also learned it late, like at age 66 or something??

4 Likes

I’ve heard him live two times in Schumann’s 3rd - what a strong experience it was. It’s a bit difficult work to listen at first, but when one discovers it’s beauty and richness of material, it’s amazing.

Btw. I would recommend Eric Le Sage’s performance also.

2 Likes

agreed, post 1930 it’s too easy to pick insanely technically hard pieces…

that being said I’d say basically that if one had to speak very generally of the ‘big names’…
Boulez 3rd sonata, Xenakis Eonta, some works of Boucourechliev, some sonatas of Sciarrino, and certainly MOST of the long works of Finnissy, etc. would have to be there, but also plenty of composers you and I have never heard of have written works that are, at least in terms of playing the notes accurately and in time, much harder than anything ever written pre-1900…

so meh that’s not much fun :sunglasses: the pre-1920 is more fun

pre-1700 would be even more fun…

1 Like

He wuz wrong.

Musta been da drugs :ho:

Do you have a rec in mind? I’ve only heard a live perf dat I wuznt what I wuz hoping for to say da least.

wait, a rec of what?

ah da sock…

I mean I think the finale should be enough to convince anyone, but that’s just me. I adore the way he plays the whole sonata

5 Likes

Ok yeAh dat finale!

Da :ho: second mvmt iz one of my favorite muzic

https://youtu.be/WU6Rnb-5TkE

2 Likes

Tru da ZHOEz 3 zonz are IMO hiz ztrongezt workz alongzide da Fant Carnage ZymphEtz & Kreiz

Hardezt Zhoe work OBVIOUZLY da Tokk

Both to play n lizten to :gav:

1 Like

I also saw him play this live like 10 years ago in Wiesbaden. My (now) wife fell asleep during the performance and I haff nevah forgiven her hahahah (she is not into clazzical muzak, but I drag her along)

Did he play Schubert D. 850 in first half? If he did, then I can understand your wife :smiley: Those two works are not easy for non-classical public at first. Half year later he played Bach Partita no. 2 and Brahms op. 116 with Schumann 3rd.

1 Like

I believe it must have been the latter program, although foggy memory :stuck_out_tongue:

Ahahahahaha :sunglasses:

3 Likes

hahaha da zepp openin 100 tabz fo da zightrape n

crazhin hiz comp :sunglasses:

1 Like

Half of da vid made up from zeppetz :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ahahaha REZPEC da MART n FEZTIN powahful interpz of da zepp “ahahahaha:sunglasses:

On da original legendary ACHOO vid, if derez one zheeyat I wud remove it wud be da verz da flamme, pozz replace wiz mendy rock zhitzo

Verz da flamme iz da kind of zong datz pozz to cuntvincinly ziterape on 1zt attempt

Whereaz a zong lyk da mendy rock zhitzo, cuntvincin ziterape not pozz even on 5th attempt :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Unfortunately the zhitzo composed after 1920, not eligible for list

A good alternative iz da Ravel Miroirs or Busoni Varationz on Chopin

2 Likes

Lotta work man! Much respect.

Ahh Scriabin 8. Such an amazing piece, too bad it’s damn near impossible :frowning:

1 Like

There’s an awesome recording of Ho playing this in the 70’s in Pasadena. I’ll have to try and find it again. Really amazing, love this piece!

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH4EEkIOaMw

3 Likes

Randomly I am sumwut obzezzed with dis mofo.

An attempted sightrape didn’t go well.

https://youtu.be/hB0Ncy0Olmk

2 Likes