Are you happy with the popularity of Classical Music?

No the first one - 10 CDs from his collection.

1 Like

How did he get into classical music? And is he still into it?

Well… the story as I know it begins with my grandfather, who was a painter and a pianist by profession (he died in the 50s). My dad plays the piano too, about once every three months, so there was a piano at home when I was a kid. My brother started playing as well, who was more talented and used to play Chopin waltzes, mazurkas and nocturnes while I was a kid. I grew up hearing the music played by family members almost every day.

Unlike dad, my brother was interested enough to buy CDs with good pianists and attend concerts, and when I started playing as well in 1996 we fueled each other’s interest. We both began exploring repertoire, challenged each other with technical exercises, went to concerts together, etc. I got in to trading live recordings by looking for a rec of Zimerman’s Passacaglia, which my brother had heard live here in 1994. He began dropping off in the mid 00s however when he had three little kids to take care of at home, and today he’s much more about photography etc than music. He often sits down to just improvise or play children’s songs and the like at the piano, but doesn’t work on anything particular there, and doesn’t listen that much either as far as I know.

3 Likes

I thought I’d resurrect this thread to continue the discussion from the RPC thread.

These articles are interesting, there will always be people who will try to ‘bridge the gap’ between our world and the wider world of music fans and more casual listeners.

I’d also like to point blank ask you guys a question -

Do you consider yourself an elitist or a snob? When it comes to music.

If you are ever called that and accept that you’re guilty as charged, fine, but if you were ever to be called that and feel uncomfortable with the idea…what would you do to explain your view in a way that didn’t sound so elitist or snobby?

Elitist. And if someone wants to have a go at me for it, fine :laughing:

Having two threads is confusing… I guess I just spontaneously replied Comme’s post in the other thread without having read it!

I think classical music is not as popular as before the WW2, and has been losing popularity among the younger generation. I do not see in the near future it will become mainstream but I also do not believe it will deminish. The status quo might last for the next 10-20 years, and if there will be a game changer, it would be China, for its large population and the new middle class are learning quickly to attend concerts. Ten years ago major orchestras would not consider stop at China in their far East tours, they would only consider Japan, and adding Korea and maybe Taiwan. But now no one can ignore the booming market there.

1 Like