Bookz & sheeyat

Not sure if there’s a place for what yo eyes be scanning so here it is.

Yesterday I found this small bookstore called Shakespeare & Sons, a kind of large walk-in closet, and bought Viktor Pelevin’s Omon Ra. I’ve wanted to read this for a while, I think it’s getting the rep of being a modern classic.

Edit: dat store BTW (like a lot of things I’ve experienced so far in Prague) jacks da prices up way beyond what’s marked.

Interesting. Let me know if it’s any good, I don’t read anything contemporary apart from Houellebecq (and A song of Ice and Fire, which I’ve given up on now since he’s the slowest writer ever). Randomly, one of my friends from school is trying to get me to read one of Tony Robbins’ self-development books (in French). She seems to think it will help me, but I’m sceptical if not outright dismissive. She said she’d lend it to me when she’s finished it.

I’ve finished Oman Ra. It builds and builds and by the end I was gripped. Great contemporary novel which takes the Soviet space system and turns it into a sick dystopia.

Without knowing it until the end, my ex-wife had bought me one of his novels (Life of Insects) about 18 years ago. Funny how that works.

I want to keep reading so I’ve just bought Olga Tokarczuk’s 2018 Booker Prize winning novel Flights which at first glance looks more a collection of essays of varying size. It looks very different from a novel so I figure it’s worth the chance. Booker’s usually good too.

This makes me tempted, but I know how novels will end up with me. I’m reading two books at the moment, both biographies - Chopin by Walker, and da Vinci by Isaacson. Both very good, though Isaacson’s bio is at a low at the moment, with description after description of da Vinci’s paintings. It’s not uninteresting, but it’s too much at the same time, and I wish he’d balance it with more about Leonardo as scientist.

Can you read two books at once? I tried it years ago but couldn’t concentrate and felt there’s enough going on outside the novel to already pull me away from it, so it’s one book at a time for me.

BTW this Flights novel apparently has a section on Chopin’s heart coming back to Warsaw. l’ve just read a few comments about the book and it doesn’t even sound like a novel. It’s got like 120 different chapters w/ different themes or subjects.

wut i thought diz wuz gonna be about harry pottah :nerd_face:

reminds me of this

ahahahah DAYUM!!

zo i gatha he vil not lyk diz den :sunglasses:

A friend here asked the same thing just a few days ago - it works fine, but I think the reason it works fine might be that they are biographies. They have a plot I suppose, in a way, but it’s not one where you have to remember characters, events and relations in the same way as with a novel.

I can’t get used to the voice they’ve given him - he looks like he should have a cute, high pitched cartoony voice, but he sounds like he hosts a radio show on analytical politics on his spare time.

ahahahaha

dat wud be zum legendary charactah development :sunglasses:

Did you see it btw? I saw it premiered a few days ago.

da zepp vil go diz tuezday, n pozz pozt a review in da movie thread :sunglasses:

Sweet :slight_smile:

@zkeptopotamuz might be into that
:fox_face:

So I’m 100 into this 400 page novel and I have to say it’s brilliant. Most if not all of the many stories she’s laid out so far––and they vary in length from about 10-15 pages to just a paragraph long––have one of the ideas of flight as their theme. Beyond that I cannot say that the stories so far link up. However that doesn’t at all disrupt the flow of the novel. A couple of the longer stories–like a husband dealing with his wife and child disappearing while on holiday on a Croatian island, or an expat sailor losing his mind while working on a ferry–are just really gripping.She changes her narrative style, use of tenses, manner of writing for the stories. Some are her own, diary-like stories; some are historical accounts; others just creative fancies. There’s nothing flamboyant or superfluous in style or vocabulary as you get with Salman Rushdie, for example. It’s just outstanding creative writing.