Busoni Concerto in piano competitions

Anyone know of instances of the Busoni Piano Concerto being performed in any major piano competitions? And why isn’t it an option at the Busoni competition? (I know it needs a chorus, but still…)

1 Like

It’s huge, obscure, and super difficult for all involved. I hadn’t even thought of the possibility of hearing it in a competition.

I’m curious why you ask though?

2 Likes

For exactly the reasons you cite. It seems to be gaining a little more traction these days. And it would be an interesting vehicle for pianists to distinguish themselves instead of hackneyed repertoire.

2 Likes

Great concerto, but surely too long for scheduling?

Da orch would not just go through da trouble of learning dat insanely long work, wiz chorus!

1 Like

it also requires a chorus, which could be costly

2 Likes

My thinking on this is that the concerto repertoire in competitions is ridiculously stale. I think the most notable changes have included the entry of the Prokofiev 2 as a regular choice in general, and the entry of the Tchaikovsky 2 as a compulsory option in the Tchaikovsky competition. Hardly daring changes.

Dats rite

concerto selection being so fucking boring is a large part of why I don’t enter competitions tbh

1 Like

Dey want to pick something dat da orch already played tru