Clazzical Guitar Repertoire

Big fan ov diz inztrument and repertoire.

Alzo 88 rep zoundz wikid on it zumtymz alzo :
YouTube

Ov courze u may reconize diz clazzic :

4 Likes

Tru, tiz one of mah fav zongz.
Julian Bream my fav classical guitarist.

Diz 88 clazzic works well on da fat 4.

When class cunziztz of 3 or 4 guitariztz in a row, it doez ztart to ztrain yo hearing. Accompanying dem alzo a nightmare - how zoft can your 88 playā€¦

2 Likes

I played classical guitar from age 11 to 18, until I decided I wanted to concentrate on piano (guitar requires you to grow your nails, which comes into conflict with da 88). Personally, I found the repertoire to be incredibly limited, hence why some of the most famous pieces for guitar are trannies (Albeniz Asturius etc). I also found it hard to hear the instrument in a large concert hall, kinda like the harpsichord, so Iā€™m not sure whether itā€™s really a concert instrument (in largish rooms at music school it could be heard, but not in the 1500 place hall).

1 Like

Lez c:

La Catedral by Barrios, an hommage to Bach, really exploiting the sonorities of the instrument. Generally canā€™t go wrong with Barrios, wrote in a very romantic idiom.

Castelnuovo-Tedescoā€™s ā€œEl SueƱo de la RazĆ³n Produce Monstruosā€, kinda Scriabin-esque:

Unfortunately, the guitar, having limited projection (you canā€™t really put it in an orchestra) compared to the piano and a more ā€œfolkā€ character, was largely ignored by most composers. Thus the repertoire was small for a long time (until Segovia came along and made everyone write compositions for him). To counteract this, many guitarists made arrangements of works for other instruments. Hereā€™s my favourite such, the Bach Chaconne, which I believe works great in this instrument:

Finally, because I would probably be posting a million vids otherwise, a tru SD classic by Llobet, Variations on a theme by Sor:

1 Like

Itā€™s fairly common practice to amplify them now especially in cuncertos.

Daim, I c u basically said the same things more concisely tru

1 Like

I donā€™t like that. Especially if itā€™s the status quo.

:sunglasses:

4 Likes

Johann Kaspar Mertz basically followed the style of piano virtuosos of his time (Chopin, Liszt, Schumann), so his music has a very pianistic feel.

Thatā€™s why I did the transcription! Beautiful piece.

3 Likes

Hahah commie government approved!

1 Like

I love classical guitar, but Iā€™ve made largely the same observation as Brew. For me exploring the lute was more rewarding. In terms of ā€œsoundā€ itā€™s my favourite of all instruments, and the repertoire takes you back a few more hundred years than the piano does.

Hahah how da fuck did da Zepp find diz vid? 14 viewz and I zuzpect half doze iz da SDC :sunglasses:

1 Like

hahah da zepp :icon_stopw_sdc_473: 6th zenze bazically haff a lock down on diz link b4 tiz even u/led :sunglasses:

1 Like

ahahah herez da zame mofo in a half-mil view count unleazh

note da zumwut random OLD ZIFF rezemblance :sunglasses:

2 Likes

HAHAHA da ZEPP notice da ONE dimenzion where da guitah haf inzane zpeed advantage

Da pickin hand rpt note tech

Rezpec diz mofoz tech :sunglasses:

2 Likes

tru diz y da zepp iz workin to zolve diz problem fo da 88 :sunglasses:

1 Like

dis is da klazzikist prf i have herd recently

2 Likes
4 Likes

I donā€™t know a lot about guitar, but this sounds amazing so far.