Crouching Tiger Hidden Tech

Which pianists can you think of that have elite or almost elite tech level - but very seldom unleash it?

Sometimes it comes in the form of pianists who usually play at modest tempi - but in occasional passages you hear something unexpected that really demands a higher dexterity level than you thought they possessed.

BOLET

Several others though - Sokolov and Richter both have among the most extraordinary techniques ever seen, but they never let technique be explicitly apparent in their performances and so you rarely think about them when these questions arise. Gelber feels like something like this too. I highlight Bolet above however because he often didn’t even use it when he should have.

Yes, of course - Godowsky. de Pachmann is also somewhat underrated in this department, though I wouldn’t single him out as a great virtuoso.

da BZcholah :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Did he still have it by the 70s? That famous Carnegie recital makes me doubt it. During the time of the Prok 2 he definitely did. Otherwise I’d probably say Arrau, though it might be the same situation for him.

1 Like

Michelangeli

Alwayz in cruize mode, wonder wut he would zound lyk in INZANE RAPE MODE :zepp:

AHAHAHAHA

da problem wiz a mofo lyk da ABM iz dat

da RAPE MODE iz zo foreign to hiz prax ztylee, dat if he zuddenly tried it, tvil lykly juz cauze a mental breakdown n inability to procezz da ‘wrong’ tactile zenzationz hez now zuddenly feelin on hiz fingahtipz, wiz da firzt zmudged pzzg leadin to inztant fakerudy etc :sunglasses:

if u want to zound gud in INZANE RAPE MODE, u haff to PRAX cuntziztently in dat mode

lyk da RECTUM :sunglasses:

1 Like

Cortot kinda a had a turbo mode he rarely practiced into

Lhevinne
supposedly Godowsky (yeah right, and Santa came down the chimney yesterday and held my cock while I took a fuckin piss)
Serkin
Schnabel

Tbh I think Bolet had a significant problem with chord execution. I hear it a lot in live rapid chordal passages… seems to me that he’s often not very clean there.

Not a fan of his laid-back approach, tbh kind of a proto-lezbo, wiz skills

Even his earliest recs like the selected Liszt TE’s from 40’s broadcasts - a big pile of MEH and irrelevant when we have legends of today who play circles around this profound slow mofo

https://youtu.be/FUDU1BW1Sdk

There are very few recs of his that I like, maybe the Flederdong and Spanish Rhapsody from those 60’s broadcast but even then - nothing to write home about

In a blind listening test you would say “this fucker needs to practice until he can play the work”

His Tannhauser is quite good if you speed it up 1.25x, then it sounds like Claire Huangci on a bad day.

:hammer:-:japanese_goblin: -:dagger:

I adore Bolet, but maybe only really ~1969-1980. I’ve never been a fan of his early recordings, and already from around 1977 onwards you can’t always count on him. His best work however has a remarkable beauty to it, and pianism which is always both refined and sophisticated. In my mind he’s unquestionably one of the great names of the previous century.

I think he was much better in stuff like :pimp: Schubert transcriptions than the TEz.

ahahahaha da GHEYLORD pure moizt iz legit

TECH pozz ZCHOLAH level :sunglasses:

He had a fantastic Village People outfit on in the great peniztz dizc inlay though :ghey:

Da CORTOT.
Diz mofo’s weakness is octs n mixed pimp-style techs, but randomly wikid finga tech n panache

2 Likes

Rudolf Jerkin. One just has to listen to his live Chop Ets or Prels to realize that he had more tech than he iz usually credited for.

3 Likes

Da JERKIN!

1 Like

Ahahahah da JELQING :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Does anybody have the Danacord disc of live stuff when he was a young mofo? I remember the repertoire been kind a bad ass.