'Da Evolution of' Recital Programme ideaz?

Maaan, just imaging a Horowitz Don Juan recording from the 30’s…

Last time I saw it on a Ho prog was actually 1929

1 Like

Fair enough, guess this the closest we’ll ever get :frowning:

3 Likes

I really can’t get into later Ho recs.

Even the 40’s stuff gets clunky. 60’s and on? Nope. I don’t want to hear that percussive stuff.

Tried listen to the 1965 Scrib Black Mass (rehearsal). Nope. Not for me. I used to love all da Ho recs I heard, at some point.

Maybe daddy Kennah traumatized moi. Soon I’ll be whispering Scrib mazurkas (with earplugs on) n exploring shades of PPP while shitting into a colonoscopy bag.
I work on legato constantly. I start to hate da inherent percussive nature of da 88, especially around da middle C area.

1 Like

Doesn’t legato have something to with being sensitive to the natural decay of tones?

3 Likes

diz trauma will tragically end with da :tm: switchin to da cello :sunglasses:

3 Likes

… and getting a second degree with a dissertation on Jacqueline du Pre’z :dong:

3 Likes

Yes. So many things… evenness of tone, limiting attack, softening tone quality with pedalling, balance “effects” to enhance the “warmness” of the tone.
A good acoustic environment also helps, but, wet acoustics don’t always hide faults in legato and tone production, they actually bring them out.

Idk if a “true” legato even exists. But percussive playing surely exists.

Great piano playing needs a mastery of a variety of “attacks” to create different timbres.

Sometimes when I practice, n hear 2 notes dat are not connected smoothly, I stomp my feet in FURY.

1 Like

What does Tru Momma say about legato?

1 Like

We work on legato regularly.

It’s connected with the “attack” of the tone, and so many different factors. Adjusted for different acoustics, pianos etc.

It is something that one seeks, but will never truly find.

Imho

Hyperion makes a good legato. Should check them out.

1 Like

Their recs swim in a glossy, anonymous reverb :sunglasses:

It’s not a legato. It’s like putting too much lube on the cut out grapefruit n trying to get off. Not gonna happen.

1 Like

Million dollar idea… Legato plugin. AI Cortot sponsor a al a…

1 Like

No no, you will just get an anonymous sound, kinda like sticking yo cock thru a glory hole.

1 Like

That’s fair! If you can get through the percussiveness and occasional mishaps, I think there’s definitely some breathtaking moments in the 60’s+ recordings as well. The recordings from the 30’s are absolutely mindboggling, but I still really enjoy his later stuff outside of the unfortunate Japan tour.

The stuff recorded out in the hall is pretty good.
The close-up “official” recs with under da lid mic placement are godawful

1 Like