Da KAT Cummah!

Da KAT bazically cuntzidah any sheeyat dat wuznt written down

To be IMPROV :sunglasses:

Da moz CG sheeyat about all da KAT improv vidz iz hiz uze ov da word ZPONTANIOUZ :whale:

I think dere iz a lot of WIKID GENSUI dere but diz iz bazically da KAT mezzin around on themez extenzively in da prax room, workin up a quazi-parasheeyat on dem, n den unleazhin dem all in random zequence in concert :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think Gabrielle Montero does ā€˜properā€™ impro, from themes provided by the audience. This is a random one as Iā€™m not at my desktop to find any specific ones.

https://youtu.be/QUqhPoA5bIY

Alzo 10/10 wud hit it

I think Katsarisā€™ improvisations are pretty crappy tbh, Iā€™m with festin above in that it just feels like heā€™s going through his bag of tricks. In terms of gensui Harrisonā€™s Montero improvisation above is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kat IMO.

Of course with printed music otoh Kat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Montero

Tbh I think this is a common failing; Iā€™m certainly prone to it. Even the holy one :zif: does this at times imo. But thereā€™s a lot more electricity in his improv than with da kat.

Randomly, I never find improvs to be musically satisfactory. Maybe if it were Beethoven or Liszt improvising, but def not from Katsaris.

Agreed

ahahahah da officially zanctioned SDC term fo diz iz:

IMPROPARAZHEEYAT :sunglasses:

1 Like

Korrect!

@festinfurious Do you take any kind of deliberate approach to the practice of ā€˜classicalā€™ improv?

There is frustratingly little info out there on how to go about developing it.

This is definitely an Improparazheeyat, and I know not everyone likes this kind of thing but I love it.

I think Lisztā€™s Operatic paraphrases were created in a similar way - taking a melody - and then experimenting with different ways of decorating it at the piano. Using as mentioned above - a different ā€˜bag of tricksā€™ for each repetition of the melody.

Generally I find thereā€™s two different forms of impro, free impro and parasheeyat impro on a theme.

I probably prefer the first, because there are absolutely no constraints other that I sometimes try to impose rudimentary structure in the sense that if a decent motif emerges early on I might bring it back towards the end.

With the parasheeyat form, different bag of tricks for each variation pretty much covers it. Iā€™m sure this is how Liszt wrote a lot of stuff, and itā€™s how Iā€™ve written parasheeyats: lots of impro, get variations in your head, play cut and paste with them for best dramatic impact, write brief cadenzas for linking passages if needed. Of course when da kat presents a ā€˜spontaneous improā€™ you have to trust he hasnā€™t worked it out beforehand, and he probably has, but never written it out, and a few small details are left to chanceā€¦

https://youtu.be/Ig1UV3CHlb0 improparasheeyat construction in action! (sorry about the phone audio!)
The first variation and the alt chords variation fall into that KATegory here of having been thought about before. The rest is spontaneous iirc. I donā€™t think itā€™s a particularly inspired impro, but a couple of nice ziff-tributes!

For me, impro is an expression of your pianistic / technical vocabulary and knowledge of expressive figurations and devices. It is legit very difficult for me to explain it; Iā€™ve done it ever since I first played da 88, and itā€™s as natural to me as walking. I consider it by far the best aspect of my piano playing.

4 Likes

Yeah this is how I thought it was.

Iā€™m the same way - if I have a gift for anything itā€™s in this realm and thatā€™s why instead of aspiring to amass some repertoire at my relatively advanced age; Iā€™ve decided to stick to a modest repertoire goal whilst primarily cultivating improv.

Where we may differ is that I donā€™t really like listening to free improv much, I much prefer parazheeyat on a previously established QUALITY theme instead of wandering around and leaving it to chance.

There isnā€™t a single shit KAT improv rec in existenceā€¦and thatā€™s because he always bases it upon themes that are guaranteed to be memorable.

If he were left to do a free improv it would likely be a bit :poop: :sunglasses:

Free improv is far riskier. A lot of the time, people degenerate into noodling and itā€™s really uninteresting.

2 Likes

The way Jazz is structured generally lends itself to being more conducive to successful improvisational freedom.
Classical improv is a bit of an oxymoron because the gensui of classical comes from it being meticulously laboured over architecturally rather than off the cuff :dong:

Randomly found diz clazzic improv medley from 12 yrz ago :girth:

See how many themes you can recognize from it :dong:

3 Likes

I donā€™t think this is really true. The problem is that so many classical musicians are sheeyat at improv, probably because nowadays itā€™s very unusual for performers to also be composers.

I donā€™t see why a penizt shouldnā€™t be able to create something coherent off the cuff (though of course I realise that maybe 90% canā€™t).

1 Like

HAHAHAH REZPEC da fledadong improparazheeeyat tezt!! diz already haff clear cut ztrukchaz n penizdick definition. da FEZTIN a freeztylin MOFO wiz dizcipline :straight_ruler: :sunglasses:

2 Likes

AHAHAHAHAH DIZ AUTEHNDICK COMME FURY!! :fire: :comme:

REZPEC da OLDBOY central moizt, n da lowkey ONE MO TYM finizh :sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha tru da FEZTIN inzpirin da comme to pozz try diz theme, zum gensui fo zhor. Da minah key part a bit wikid

Randomly da Fledermaus cummah from da german fo :bat: becuz da Germanz :de: think da BAT lookz lyk a flyin mouze :mouse::mouse2: :whale:

2 Likes