Da PIMP-THALBurglah DUEL thread

Haha, dis oddly familiar vid :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Oh, I loved Dacicā€™s Liszt CD. He plays like Picasso paints. Iā€™m happy to listen to playing like that which doesnā€™t attempt to show you THE WAY, as long as itā€™s done intelligently and creatively.

1 Like

He has a huge range of colors, agreed

Heā€™s not afraid to blur or sound ā€œmessyā€ for effect.

Randomly dis a wikid penizt

1 Like

I hate his playing, much like his teachers. I couldnā€™t give a shit about his range of colours.

zumtymz i wundah if da BRU luv

da m*zik

mo den he luv

da 88 :sunglasses:

I wonder this myself sometimes. I canā€™t say one way or the other.

2 Likes

I rather enjoyed this.
Brew, I haff to say - diz randomly IZ a unique 88 style, even if it is pure WTF at tyms

Imho heā€™s one of the more interesting mofos out there, fo bettah or fo worse

And yes, tiz effect aftah effect wiz pure WTF hand positions to go along wis it

1 Like

Youā€™re entitled to like it. Itā€™s just not the sort of playing I value at all.

If I sheeyat correctly, the duel between Thal & Liszt was in two phases: first, da Thal played his God save da King and Moses Fant in the hall of the Paris Conservatoire, after which Liszt hired the Opera house (with ten times more audience!) and played Weberā€™s KonzertstĆ¼ck, the Niobe and possibly also the Hammerklavier Sonata. Then one or two weeks later, they made their joint appearance in Belgiojosoā€™s salon, Liszt came first and played his Niobe, and Thalberg his Moses Fantasheeyat. These two events ended the competition, and a large majority acknowledged that Liszt was simply superior.
Tā€™is not WHAT you play but HOW you play itā€¦
Tā€™is perhaps fair to state that both T. and L. composed much better sheeyat much later in their livesā€¦

Zeppā€™z version of the duel program is correct (ie both played two piecez). There were also other musicians at the soiree, but the joint performance/ de facto duel was what people came for.

Also, it doesnā€™t seem to be clear that Liszt was a convincing outright victor.

1 Like

I donā€™t think about music quite like this. Or I do, but saying playing has colours is no different than saying a painting has colours. What ultimately matters is the idea behind it and how itā€™s been realized. Colours are great, but B&W can be really cool as well if it suits the subject.

Dacic is this mad scientist type of pianist. Iā€™d never argue what he gives you is ā€œtruthā€ or a photorealistic representation, but heā€™ll give you music as Picasso gives you portraits. Theyā€™re striking and intensely creative, but maybe not exactly what you see or had in mind (though I do think Picasso was a way greater artist than Dacic is).

I think I read this version of the events in Sitwellā€™s bio.

Iā€™ve got that, and will check, but Iā€™m 99% the Niobe + Konzertstuck v Moses + GSTK is the generally accepted version (and in Walker).

It had better be, lolā€¦ I wrote sleeve notes on this!

1 Like

If that is so, then why was it that Thalberg, after these events, became immediately quite obscure and almost disappeared from musical history, while Liszt was launched as a big star?

I randomly duz any of you have storiez about da pimp opium usage?

Asking fo a friend :rudy:

1 Like

Thatā€™s false. Thalberg was (very successfully) on tour in both N and S America in the 1850s, for example - offhand I think for nearly three years.

So Thalberg must have been a very beautiful pianist, but just lacking inventiveness and geniusā€¦

I think the truth is that he was a greater pianist than composer. I actually wrote an article on the issue youā€™re raising, Iā€™ll try to find it.

1 Like

Yes, itā€™s in Walkerā€™s bio. He got high with George Sand and some other mofo, while Marie watched.

ā€œColonelā€ Pictet?

Thereā€™s a bit about Liszt conducting the chairs with a candle-snuffer iirc.