Da PIMP-THALBurglah DUEL thread

Randomly, Blandine seemed a lot more likable than Cosima.

Ahahahahah is it too late fo da TRUMOFO to change hiz dizzertation theziz from da zcribetz to a

THAL burglah - blandine PIMP liaizon inveztigazheeyat? :sunglasses:

On the subject of Thalberg, might anyone here have a complete score of L’art du chant appliquĂ© au piano (Op.70)? I only seem to have selected excerpts.

I’ll check when I get home. Possible I only have the same thing.

1 Like

Mannn, this zong was tooooo looooong. I often feel this way about Liszt.

I think this is rare for some reason. I have the entire set, but gathered from various sources. When I collected scores ca 1997-2006, no collector or library I was aware of had a complete edition. Not sure if that has changed since.

https://we.tl/t-CFq5GR7zyP

2 Likes

Thank you!

On the subject of Thalberg and Liszt more broadly, I have always been struck by the extent of Liszt’s pettiness in trying to bring Thalberg down. The review of Thalberg’s Op.22 signed by Liszt in the 8 January 1837 Gazette Musicale contains such gems as “Thalberg’s Fantaisie gives the lie most explicitly; because not only is it one of the most pretentiously empty and mediocre works we know, but again it is a supremely monotonous thing, and therefore supremely boring. [
] Speaking seriously, it seems impossible to us that with the best will in the world one would succeed in discovering in the 21 pages which form the totality of this Fantaisie, anything similar to what in a matter of art we call invention, color, character, verve and inspiration. . . . Impotence and monotony, that is what we find in the final analysis in the publications of M. Thalberg.”

(Source – Bomberger, The Thalberg Effect: Playing the Violin on the Piano, The Musical Quarterly, Vol. 75 no.2 (1991) https://www.jstor.org/stable/742201, which points out that this may have been penned by or in collaboration with Marie d’Agoult, but which nevertheless went out in Liszt’s name, and so must have carried his approval.)

2 Likes

Oh amazing – thank you for this! Very grateful and much appreciated.

Super, I do have the complete set, but suspect it’s on a defunct HD. (Not checked yet.)

Iirc Walker and others are inclined to attribute the published comments to Marie, writing in Liszt’s name.

Additionally, I seem to recall that the review set in train a war of words, with the critic-composer Fetis calling Liszt “the pianist of the past”, “the product of a school which has outlived itself” (from memory, hence I am, perhaps appropriately, paraphrasing). His opinion may have been Fetid :stuck_out_tongue:

From a single, collected edition? (which might be split in several books, which is fine too)

Da THAL conc actually a bit wikid if u judge az a clazzical conc

Hmm, I definitely had something complete - it was made available on da 88st around 2006, but it’s not on the current HD I’m using, so the link you’ve posted is most helpful. I see the full set isn’t available on IMSLP nor via Scorser.

I have categorically looked through all of the pieces in the distant past, but refreshing myself won’t hurt :wink:

1 Like

Nice! It’s fun to play to “Casta diva” and other famous arias on the piano, for the most parts these transcriptions are not difficult to play.

Ahahaha dis semi-fiction ardickle sumwut CG :pimp:

https://djbartel.com/le-duel/

Alzo

a familiar sounding rec of da mozezfant in there :sunglasses:

3 Likes