Da Raw Cziff Transfer Announce - Now Posted!

Nice!

Is definitely better listening outside the critical listening rig. I’m beginning to appreciate what a hard job audio engineering must be. I can sort of see see why Hyperion makes stuff “dull“ sounding. Is to navigate the wacky world of playback devices.

1 Like

I would do the noise reduction slightly differently I think if I was doing something other than, basically, a crude demo. I’ve not really fiddled around with settings, I’ve just used ones which have worked in studio recs but made the reduction a touch more severe.

I don’t know what other people do but just zeroing or chopping off the ultra high frequencies isn’t the way to go imo and I think that is sometimes done.

1 Like

I just got a good transfer of the Bach Liszt number on this disc. This might be a top 10 greatest piano performance when you hear it in the OG dynamics at concert volume.

1 Like

Wow!

This took an entire day. Lord! If you have neutral high end HP gear gonna be really cool, if not noisey and tinny likely but still will hear some new details. I recommend you EQ and filter the noise on these to fit your system.

Also gotta listen loudly (concert level) or will have weak bass nothing has been levelled off or normalized here.

Didn’t monkey with EQ or dynamics. Listen to the BACH number FUUUUUUCK!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/188saXBdKrMfq5lwihdW4yrNwDvv51_d0?usp=sharing

Here is the GP CD release version of the fantasy… ready for easy listening on your moms kitchen radio…

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CZJ-3WWk__TJGeOYg22B11Cz5qVVnZaW/view?usp=sharing

Realizing added wrong cover art in there hmmm

@ElGordito legendary post! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

gud idea when da SDC create itz music label : sell multi-mix

• Headphone mix
  • Hi-end neutral monitor speakah mix
  • zheeayat “warm” hifi speakah / bose mix
  • laptop speakah mix :sunglasses:
3 Likes

Add to dese mixez:
Audio with running cummentary mix
:tmfury:

4 Likes

Truuuuu

“Da :zif: wyf clearly a Tranny”

1 Like

Hey Guys,

Huge breakthrough on this legendary rec. It was recorded out of phase which caused all sorts of weird comb filtering.

I also measured low end of of well digitized masters of LPs I have and got a better sense of where my cartridge rolls off

Will post an updated bach fantasy version with these fixes and light denoise.

With these fixes I’ve got something really amazing sounding so far. Like almost as good as Ho recs from that period minus some surface noise

2 Likes

Ok this first time I’m thinking I’m figuring out how to do this finally.

Here is the fixed BACH fantasy. What you guys think?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vM1H4Dice8KSVBqU2jlZZF8hVppcGc1y/view?usp=sharing

Listening with phones. Still a bit of background hiss but sounding cleaner than previously - maybe this is because it’s a louder track so the hiss is less evident. I’ll have a look in Izotope…

Ok, doesn’t look like you’ve used the denoise tool, or at least not in the way I’d use it. Tbh I’d be kinda tempted to add some reverb as a finishing touch, but that’s a matter of preference.

I mean, it sounds amazing for an LP transfer, and the playing is of course something else. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah was going to mess with that next week. I learned you can highlight the bands you want to de noise in the spectrum/learn tool. I could do that around the way forms because they are so easy to see in the cllimaxes

I think that and some tasteful declipping and its cut and print on something pretty badass.

There’s a lot of low freq noise: you can see from the intro. I’ve put a basic denoise on to run atm for experimental purposes and I think that will probably be enough to clean it up safely.

Must admit I missed the clipping but I’ll put it into audacity and check.

1 Like

Time to start a record label.

1 Like

That makes sense I boosted the base a little bit for the spot on my cartridge craps out a little. I don’t think I remembered to pull back the noise before doing that :frowning:

There are some ambient clicky type noises in the 1.50 to 1.55 area, plus one immediately prior to the start of the playing, ran spectral repair on them and they are pretty much gone. Spotted another few more later, I’ve attached screenshots to give you an idea what to do. These are clicks within notes: when you get one at the start or end of a note you will likely need to adjust the before/after weighting of the repair accordingly. Doing repair work CAN be very timeconsuming but these are nice clean transfers in terms of ambient crud. Will head to audacity now…

1 Like

Yeah, you’re right, about ten clips. Right channel was a bit louder than the left, so they were predominantly in it. I’ll upload what I’ve done to the wav and you can see what you make of it. I didn’t reverb, as that’s a matter of taste, and its easier to compare the versions if I’m not adding in any major extra differences. Probably the odd ambient noise still lurking around, but you can spend forever on being fussy :frowning: I know I have in the past…

1 Like

try this Box

1 Like

Fuuuuuuck!

The insane dynamics still there !!

Festin you should tube this final version and link the Mark Ainley. Courtesy for da SDC sound lab. He’d have to learn some new more furious adjectives to post this gem ; )

1 Like