da true punk rock spirit

Every mention of Minor Threat gets Minor Threat played

I’ve never heard of them.
For Punk I go for Sex Pistols and Ramones, I also love Joy Division but they are post-punk.

Respect. Joy Division are great but I have to be careful because of how powerfully they can shift my mood.

Minor Threat are legendary in part because their straight edge lead singer Ian MacKaye went on to found Fugazi. You probably know their most popular bad ass song:

I still listen to quite a lot of punk – it was the culture I lived in as a teenager. Bad Religion, NOFX, Strung Out, Propagandhi, Dead Kennedys…and bands that are essentially punk in spirit but who developed their music much further – At the Drive In, Primus, No Means No…

I used to listen to NOFX a lot when I was about 12-13, and as recently as last year I revisited “so long and thanks for all the shoes”.
The problem with them is that they’re terrible live.

haha they are awful live. I just realised I can introduce myself in the other thread through NOFX.

Dutch punk / experimental / folk band The Ex. I like to say that it’s the greatest music to come out of the Netherlands since Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck died in 1621.

It’s pudding time children

What’s missing in this thread is a really great singer: youtube.com/watch?v=rPOMebTD__I&t=649s

Oh I love those cocksuckahs. Respect

Tru, I like that too although for Seattle bands my favourite was Alice in Chains.

I never think I got past Dirt with them, though I listened almost exclusively to grunge at that point in my life. Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots… ehhh. And whatever else they’re called. Have only taken Nirvana with me in to adulthood though.

Same. The emotional intensity of Nirvana separates them from every other band of their genre / time IMO.

Speaking of them, Wipers were an influence. Nirvana covered their song D-7 and made it famous.

I still listen to this song which lyrics-wise at least covers what a sense of approaching love is, especially in a crippled-by-shyness school way.

I can’t say that any of these bands ever really spoke to me in terms of their lyrical content, maybe AIC down in a hole when I was randomly depressed.

Melkweg (Amsterdam) is the best place I’ve seen / attended for NOFX concerts. The crowd are always up for it and the atmosphere is 100% fun, no security, all stage diving and swirling happy pits. Amsterdam has a great history of hosting punk and rock concerts.

greatest Canadian punk band

when I was 18 and homeless in NY I used to walk around the city listening to this song

on the steps of my mind
one thousand thoughts decline
away

I can become you
and through your eyes I’ll watch you
lie to me
step right over me
as I fall to my knees

1 Like