Da Zecond Vienneze Zchool

An era that getz hardly any luv and no dizcuzzion that I recall.
What are you favourite zongz and recs from deze mofoz?

I played for a seriez where diz waz da theme so had da Berg zon and da Schoenberg op.19 in my rep lazt year. Muzt zay I ztill haven’t totally warmed to da Berg as 88 muzik, sort of remindz me of doze Tchaik works dat are like orcheztral muzik in and 88 guize.
Da Schoenberg are incredible though. Should be programmed more. They’re not that difficult for the audience, and if dey are, they’re only 6 minutes all up.

2 Likes

Da BERG son is not bad imho but I would much rather lose years out of my life doing a late Scrib Son like 6, 7 or 8

1 Like

How difficult is da BergZon? If you were to compare it to a more-progammed Sonata for example…

I do love dis piece, and would love to wander into dis rep, but no idea if it is even worth attempting…

I like da BERGZON but I wouldn’t like to have to memorise it…

It’s a bitch. A lot harder than it looks. I wouldn’t say Scrib level difficult, but a good few months for me. There’s nothing ‘regular’ (scales, tonal chords) in it and a lot of polyphony which I find difficult to rapid learn.
But I’m glad I learnt it coz it’s something I don’t think I would have, and the crowds do go for it surprisingly.

2 Likes

I like them. Berg violin concerto is wonderful

1 Like

I love Schoenberg and Berg. Webern, not so much.

Have been listening to Webern op. 1 passacaglia recently. It’s a really nice work! Also Schoenberg op. 16.

The reduction is not! Wozzeck and Lulu apparently the hardest scores for reps coz you can’t get away with playing white noize.

Tru, Webern I havent gotten into. Followed the variations, hasn’t clicked yet.
There are some early works that are quite romantic I’m told.

Whenever I grow a pair and/or a brain, I will play Schoenberg Op. 25 and Webern Variations… I’ve only played the Schoenberg Phantasy for Violin and Piano and Berg’s 7 Early Songs.

1 Like

Haha da BERGZON iz NOT a 2nd Vienneze zkool work

n neitha iz early Zhoenberg

I mean technically it iz but da earfly partz are expanded tonality which iz WIKID

but latah abandonment ov tonality iz experimental curiozity but not muzik I wud chooze to lizn to

Zchoenberg 2nd ZQ iz ma fav work ov hiz

altenberg lieder, berg violin conc, webern bagatelles for SQ, schoenberg SQ 2 and 4, schoenberg op. 11 nos. 1 and 2, berg pieces for clarinet and 88, webern langsamer satz haha, berg chamber concerto, schoenberg string trio, schoenberg piano concerto, berg lulu and lulu suite

Tru, but when Zhoenberg breaks his own rulez 2 barz into a zong, nothing iz cumpartmentalized.

1 Like

That fantasie looks horrendous if I zheeyat correctly.

1 Like

I keep forgetting berg did write chamber music with piano.
Why not schoenberg op.11 3?

I’m a big fan of Webern and Berg. Schoenberg’s never really done anything for me tho. His 12 tone stuff sounds stodgy and rigid compared to how romantic and “emotional” Berg’s music is, or how strikingly sparse, yet intensely expressionistic Webern’s music is. “Verklaerte Nacht” though is a different story. One of the most breathtakingly beautiful pieces I’ve heard from any composer.

2 Likes

the 3rd piece is the most beloved by people who like the most ‘experimental’ side of schoenberg, but for my ear it’s just the piece that holds together the least well… super awkward and strange. i still like it but the first two are more my style

Da tonal Webern.

Webern’s passacaglia opus 1 is really amazing. And it’s tonal.

the greatest early Webern for me is the langsamer satz he wrote in his first year of study with Schoenberg, insanely beautiful, basically wagner worship but that’s okay