DASDC Recording Recommendation thread

I like the major

Rezpec! I talked to him for the last time six months earlier.

The major pisses me off hugely! I prefer the gothic chill of the minor.

Haha Comme you just gave me my 1000th like. I’ve been keeping an eye on it since Sat.

1 Like

I’ve never really paid attention to this, since I don’t like the tranny that much, but the major would be more idiomatic, no? Since Bach used the tierce de picardie almost as a matter of course.

The sharp is written in parenthesis, but the major is the more commonly heard.

Funny, I just sampled it on youtube and it depends on how it’s phrased. I think ABM would have done better to end in minor in Warsaw 55, whereas LdlS feels spot on with major in Verbier 2016. If I had played it I would have saw to that major fits however, since I do like it better. I think it’s the more grandiose/heroic ending, and a more fitting conclusion to all that has past before it.

Btw I’m not familiar with Kissin but if you mean his studio rec I do believe you when you say it’s good. They’re better than he is I almost wrote haha.

Yes that Hamelin version is my favorite too. I went on a Chaconne binge a few years ago. Also at the top were Grimaud, Ogdon, Pletnev, and Michelangeli (I settled on the 73 Lugano version).

My absolute favorite is Pletnev from Carnegie Hall.

1 Like

Can any pianist match this classic rec of the seldom played :pimp: Ballade no.1?

Been obsessed with the Waldstein of late.

Best recs?

Pletnev

1 Like

Gilels

1 Like

Hofmann, then Ernst Levy, Cziffra, Horowitz (remake), Nat, Pletnev, Gilels

depends on what kind of interpretation I am in the mood for. This should cover a good variety, the first two being interventionist and wayward

1 Like

I like Hofmann in the first movement, no real favourites in the second (a bit of a nothing slow movement imo), and Schnabel in the third.

Wtf! The slow movement is a stroke of gensui and perfectly acts as a prelude to the finale.

His original slow movement was this -

Also why is Korstick barely mentioned around here? Possibly the most consistently brilliant modern Complete Sonata sets.

1 Like

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0hom1wpfc5bhz5u/01_Piano_Sonata_%25E2%2584%2596_21_C-Dur_Op.53%25C2%25ABWaldstein%25C2%25BB_%25E2%2580%2593_I._Allegro_con_brio.flac/file

1st movement, if anyone wants to check it out.

Yes, I know. The only thing I like about the second movement is the transition to the third movement. When I revisited this piece recently when I was back in Oz, I only played through the outer movements. Did not touch the middle one. I don’t like the slow movement of the tempest either. For some reason, I fell completely out of love with that piece after learning it.

Korstick’s set is excellent. And randomly, his Rachmaninoff 3rd was awesome too.

1 Like

Aite, I have becummah a bit in love wiff da Ravel noble waltzes.
So far heard da Vol a numbah of times and da Grosvenator, vastly prefer da Vol.
What are yo recummendations in diz?