DASDC Recording Recommendation thread

AdL is my main mofette :+1:

She’s good in almost anything, but unbeatable in Spanish rep. If you search the archives I think you’ll find one or two recitals I posted with her last year, including one with the Valses IIRC.

1 Like

Richter did a studio rec? I don’t remember that… What are the dates/labels of these recs?

I dunno, it was on spotify, one cover said live and the other did not and the cover looked “studioish”, so I just assumed it was studio. I can check the specifics 2moro. But, now that I think about it I thought I heard a cough in there, so you might be right.

Right, the good version was on an album from 2007, on Disques Dom. The other one was from Sviatoslav Richter 100. Vol. 8 (Live) on Firma Melodiya.
It does sound a bit better today, yesterday I gave up and switched versions after a few bars. Still, I like the Disques Dom better, even if the sound quality is way shittier.

The one on Disques Dom (Archipel Records) is from Moscow 21/04/1954 (Live), previously released on Parnassus Records’ Richter in the 1950s Vol. 3. The Melodiya rec is live from Moscow also, 1964/12/30. I love the 1964 rec, but I also really like the Budapest 1954 rec:

1 Like

Schubert Symphony No. 5 - I love that work. Anyone has a favourite perf.?
I really like Mackerras and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment:

Bohm is great. Beecham too.

1 Like

Harold en Italie, anyone?

Is there a piano version I don’t know about?
:hushed:

I love this

1 Like

=)

The original Berlioz please.

It’s like I’ve entered that Twlighty thing about that Zone.:scream:

1 Like

I have a score to this but no recording readily accessible. Pozz one somewhere many computers ago.

There is a Liszt arrangement for viola & piano, no?

Yes, but this is one where not even Liszt could win me over. Believe it or not but I think I’ve only heard the work all the way through once, and it left such an imprint that I’ve had difficulties returning to it since. I’m really hard to please with the soloist in particular since I have a very firm view of how I want it characterized. I can usually tell from just the first phrase whether they’re of the right timbre or not.

I can’t get my head around how HB thought of offering it to Paganini of all people incidentally, who I think did right to refuse it. Urhan however, who eventually premiered it, I think would have been hand in glove.

1 Like

It was Erdelyi playing that rec I had. Main point of interest was his completion of the Bartok though so…yeh…pointless post :zcholah:

Bernstein/NYPO/Sony

:+1:

Strange name for a viola player. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s my favourite Harold in Italy:

LINK

I also love the Josef Suk / Czech Phil rec.

2 Likes