Drawbackz ov only praxin on a DIGI 88

When u go to playin on a real 88 - afta only praxin on a digi fo yrz

Wut zurprizez n difficultiez may cummah yo way? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Pedal needs waaaaay more finesse

Iā€™m going to find this out for myself soon, albeit with a hybrid. A lot of people talk about the sound, but for me itā€™s the action which would be the biggest difference.

1 Like

Donā€™t want to sound discouraging and perhaps it also depends on your general level and how well you practised in (early) childhood, but in my case: plenty, plenty of difficultiez. Had to rework/rebuild my tech in fact, after years of neglect and limited evening ā€œpractisingā€ on a DP with headphones.

one zheeyat I noticed iz da bazz on moz acouztik 88 juz zound mo powahfull
pozz dey uze random level comprezzion/normalization on da digiz

zo I had to train to have a lightah LH on accouzdick

apart from dat n unlike da PEAR I found it almoz immediately much eaziah to play da real 88
I gained at leazt 5 nps :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Tru, action da key.
I had a digi for note learning only and itā€™s fine. But ztill had to practise on da real thing.

Da Digi can be good for finger strength and coordination - making sure you play all the way into the keys - coz you need more cuntrol (ezpecially if tis unweighted).

Digi for learning n ardickulation.

Proper 88 for sonority work.

at da next CHOPCOMP cunteztantz zhud be able to requezt DIGI wiz amplifiah az one of da 88 optionz :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Fuckkkkkkk

Truuu?

On the Casio privia if I stay light on keys is way easier than acoustic so on digi I try to hit Key bed so I donā€™t get too pussified. Also digi thumping is key to the idiom ; )

What do you guys think about learning music that requires lots of colour on a digital? For example Debussy and Ravel.

Useless - or only on a basic level to get da fingerings, rhythm and technical patterns right - but even those things might change once you try it in a spacious place with a decent GP.

1 Like

Disagreed with da 88 when he says ā€˜uselessā€™

I think ALL music requires colour and tonal nuance, the subtleties just wont be there on a digi but you can definitely learn the notes and ā€˜bake the cakeā€™ there.

Just apply the icing on a real 88.

1 Like

How are you supposed to do that if you donā€™t have access to one? This hybrid will be the only instrument Iā€™ll play for the next few years at least, unless I visit my parents in Oz.

I think all work at da 88 should take a proper tone into account.

The parameter of tone production is absent on a digi emtirely.

I mostly compose at da digi and memorize stuff on itā€¦ but even then, working on ANY aspect of actual piano playing on that pre sampled plastic sheeyat - impossible.

1 Like

However, da digi smash rape thru IS a legit 88 genre

:zepp:

2 Likes

What digitals are you guys playing? Doubtless da TM is playing one sheeyat he got for on special at da dollar shop. Surely the top end digitals/hybrids would be better than an entry level acoustic?

2 Likes

I completely disagree with the idea of using a digi for anything beyond learning notes and finger training. I didnā€™t have an upright for years and did everything on a digi. I had to practically recreate my tech overnight when I started taking things more seriously, and it probably took at least a year to fix the damage it did to my touch.

Agreed with da TM and have the same experience as festin.
I take back that itā€™s entirely useless - indeed you can start new pieces on it, or use it for memorization, but only if the main part of your work is done on an decent acoustic piano (upright or grand) with a real tone/action etc. IMO it shouldnā€™t be used as da main practise instrument. Personally I really dislike headphones, too, they give me ear problems if I use them for a long time.
Hybrid Yamahas have the advantage that you can use them as a ā€œnormalā€ piano whenever you want. I had this type:
https://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/yamaha-se132-sh-silent-upright-piano-polished-ebony-p25851

A silent is different. A hybrid has the action of a grand but instead of hitting strings, it hits sensors, and the output is digital. The one Iā€™m planning to get is the updated version of this:

Itā€™s around the same price as the B1 silent, but frankly a B1 is a very unsatisfactory piano, even if it is acoustic. I think this N1X would be a decent stopgap solution until the time when I can either ship my piano over here, or sell it and buy another grand.