Evgeny Kissin - Repertoire

The only recital I have from '98 has Chopin preludes and Liszt sonata (+ brahms encores, not op119).

haha and these two

edit: they are in there already! nevermind ; )

Incidently, I feel the same about Busoni. All pianists know about Busoni, and they play one or maybe two of his transcriptions. Do they honestly believe that there are not a single original Busoni work that is worth playing? Only the standard repertoire is worth playing?

Either they or their management probably don’t think it would sell. Unless they’re the DOC, in which case you don’t play it because you want people to think of you as more than a musical archeologist, and so you profess your love for D960 at every given opportunity. No hate to da DOC though; he’s done his part and helped bring certain composers closer to the mainstream. Busoni just needs a big name to champion his original works.

1 Like

Da :genie: dizzed da :kan: in an intahview, zayin twuz not worth playin

Wut a cunt

3 Likes

I think Hamelin is one of the few pianists who actually plays these rarely played composer. Yes, now that he is kinda old he plays Schubert sonatas etc. but he still plays WAY WAY more rarely played composers than almost all famous pianists.

A further response: I do not believe that any single (potential) concert goer would drop a recital just because one of the works on the program is rarely played. So the argument that it wouldn’t sell is a very stupid one

1 Like

Da bezt method iz to zneak 1 rare piece a performer iz pazzionate about, or even throw one in az an encore.

I agree, but concert promoters tend to be exceedingly risk averse. I can’t explain the reasons for it, but at least here I seem to hear way more Brahms and Schubert than Bach, Mozart, Beethoven or Rachmaninoff.

Who decides what a classical pianists performs live? Of course the artist himself, but who decides in reality? Can they honestly not play whatever they want?

If they’re a big enough name, they can probably play what they want subject to time limits.

Tru

N dey iz correct :sunglasses:

No they would be wrong. But then, you don’t even like music.

I agree some of his music is boring, but some of it is also quite good, even great. For instance the Toccata, some of the sonatinas, some of the elegies and asorted etudes etc.

1 Like

If we had a Buz rec of one of his zheeyats dat wud be wikid

:zepp:

Harzhly da BUZ wrote no zheeyat dat actually zoundz imprezzive technically dezpite bein difficult

1 Like

Tru, da original works sound a bit zheeyat

That is an amazing work

I haf da DOC triple cd zet. Zadly not much gensui

It depends on your taste, I guess. At least I like it

I lyk zum workz. Da Chopvarz pozz da bezt.

He fo zhor haz hiz own unique ztylee n voice.