Favorite Cziffra performances

I haven’t heard anything from him that I thought was freakishly fantastic, but he’s young and definitely a pianist whose concerts I plan to attend regularly.

I liked his early Liszt Sonata and Scarbo alot.
I remember the Liszt Sonata was overdotted as fuck, it was GENSUI

Lol can a 25 year old pianist really have an “early” Liszt sonata?

ok, da Liszt Sonata from 2010

8)

HAHAHA WTF

The live version sounds EXACTLY like the Cziffra interpretation.

You can clearly tell he’s a Cziffra fan, also from his encoring of the Bra-Ziff HD5

Yeah, he’s also played the Tritsch Tratsch.

In hiz actual perfs of Cziffra pieces he has his own Zmoooth take on them and foregos the savake Cziffra surges and spikes. But in the Gnomerape he actually seems to imitate Cziffra’s performance, it’s really well done actually!

Well this changed the next time I heard him in recital. Hopefully, I’ll get to hear him again next year.

1 Like

Nice bio tribute!

1 Like

Ztealing da nazi train!

LEGENDARY perf! :sunglasses:

N da impro befoahhand wud haff been well worth seeing alzo.

3 Likes

I like his Chopin.

Tru, a bit zheeyat quality upload but diz ma fav ov da 4 impz

I might be off about this… since I’m not 100 I’m thinking about the right work, but something I think I remember with Cziffra which surprised me is that he has an excellent Ravel Sonatine. Sándor also said he was superb in Mozart concerti, which I can actually imagine. Pity no recs have surfaced of any.

1 Like

Mullett of Portici probably a top 10 bravura rec of all time. I kind of like how he played the opening of Schumann sonata 1 in a vid from way back — comes to mind as something hidden in his playing but also great. Can’t find vid to know if I"m remembering correctly though…

3 Likes

Da Dvorak impo a MO gensui impro den hiz famouz warmup one

1 Like

Yes - my first favourite Ziff rec, and it remains up there. It always reminds me of what Rubinstein said of Liszt, that he was a virtuoso god. When you hear it played by Cziffra it’s one of those works where virtuosity itself almost takes a spiritual form.

3 Likes

It’s a great piece too. Horowitz played it in the 1924-1925 season.

2 Likes

Awesome… realizing tape wobble adding effective vibrato lol

2 Likes