Franco non-impressionistic rep

Just listened to the mofo that is the Duck-Ass Zon. It’s bewildering to say the least, will take a few listens.
It get’s praised a lot but not often performed. Pozz due to difficulty or audience?
I’ve got the Ogdong and Hamelin. Any more recommendations? Ogdong I found tended to pain in tableux’s, occasionally found it hard to find a thoroughfare to what the piece was doing. But he does have this amazing ability to stop time. On the other hand, surprisingly I thought his manic energy worked best in the last mov.

Anywho, it got me thinking of the French solo rep aside from Impressionists (minus Baroque and Faure).
Saint-Saens, Franck… SS never wrote a piano zon (don’t think Franck did), so the only ‘romantic’ sonata by a reputable composer is the Dukas? And then into C20th, only zon’s I can think of are Duttilleux and Boulez.

Neither Gounod, Massenet, Bizet, Saint-Saëns, Chabrier, Fauré, Chausson, Debussy, Satie, Ravel, Roussel, Honegger nor Poulenc wrote a piano sonata. Franck wrote one, but it remained unpublished—not surprisingly as he was thirteen at the time. Vincent d’Indy also wrote one, but not until 1907. So when Dukas completed his own Sonata on 7 September 1900 he had the satisfaction of knowing that he was ploughing a new furrow, one that was to be continued over the next century by Milhaud, Auric, Dutilleux and Boulez

Da Douche recced da duckass zon iirc.

Kan grande zon, but obviously not a ‘conventional’ zon.

Check out the French composer MAURICE EMMANUEL, I think his unconventional 88 work is worth exploring:

1 Like

Great playing!
As a side note I was thinking something more ‘Romantic’ mid C19 based - If any Frenchies attempted the Germanic Sonata.

This article basically explains it - :nigga:

1 Like