Great (living) pianists with the smallest repertoire

I was thinking about how there are some amazing pianists who actually don’t have such a big repertoire but they managed to find they own way on international scene. For me personally this is not negative at all, probably more fascinating. IMO, it’s more difficult to play again and again the same works and doing them better while always trying to find some new ideas.

So, of living pianists, I think what the winner is Piotr Anderszewski. I love his playing and it’s really amazing how his recital programs are not attractive at all for wider public. He just plays what he likes and does it on superb way. I tried to write it on a paper his solo and conceeto repertoire. He is playing chamber music as well, recently with violinist Nikolai Znaider; he did some piano quintets I think; also he played a lot with his sister, violinist Dorotea Anderszewska and they maybe some CDs. Anyway, if you know anything which is not on this list, let me know.

Speaking about old pianists, maybe Rosalyn Tureck comes to my mind, but honestly I don’t know her repertoire well and I guess that much of it was not recorded.

PIOTR ANDERSZEWSKI

SOLO REPERTOIRE

J. S. BACH
English suite no. 1 in A major
English suite no. 3 in G minor
English suite no. 5 in E minor
English suite no. 6 in D mimor
French suite no. 5 in G major
French Overture in B mimor
Italian Concerto in F major
Partita no. 1 in B-flat major
Partita no. 2 in C minor
Partita no. 3 in A minor
Partita no. 6 in E minor
Das Wohltenperierte Klavier, Book II - 8 Preludes and Fugues (17-24)

W. A. MOZART
Sonata in C minor, KV 475
Fantasy in C minor, KV 475

L. VAN BEETHOVEN
Bagatelle, Op. 126
Sonata no. 31 in A-flat major, Op. 110
Sonata no. 32 in C minor, op. 111
Varations on a Them by Diabelli, Op. 120

R. SCHUMANN:
Papillons, Op. 2
Fantasy in C major, Op. 17
Humoresque, Op. 20
Novellete in F-sharp minor, Op. 21 no. 8
Sonata no. 2 in G minor, Op. 22 (played when he was young - mentioned in one interview)
Studies in the form of Canon for Pedal Piano, Op. 56 (transcription: P. Anderszewski)
Gessange der Frühe, Op. 133
Geister Variationen, Op. posth.

F. CHOPIN
Ballade no. 3 in A-flat major, Op. 47
Ballade no. 4 in F minor, Op. 52
Mazurkas, Op. 30
Mazurkas, Op.63
Mazurkas, Op. 59
Mazurka in F minor, Op. 68 No. 4
Polonaise in F-sharp minor, Op. 44
Polonaise in A-flat major, Op. 53
Polonaise-Fantaisie in A-flat major, Op. 61
Scherzo no. 4 in E major, Op. 54 (played when he was young - mentioned in one interview)
Sonata no. 3 in B minor, Op. 58

GRIEG
Homeward, Op.62 No.6 (Lyric Piece)

L. JANACEK
In the Mists
On the Overgrown Parth, Book II
Sonata

B. BARTOK
14 Bagatelles, Oo. 6
Three Hungarian Folk Melodies

K. SZYMANOEWSKI
Masks, Op. 34
Mazurkas, Op. 50 nos. 13-16
Metopes, Op. 29
Sonata no. 3, Op. 36

A. VON WEBERN
Variations, Op…27

H. BERKELEY
Studies nos. 4-6

CONCERTO REPERTOIRE

J. S…BACH:
Piano Concerto No.1 in D minor, BWV 1052

J. HAYDN
Piano Concerto in D major

W. A. MOZART
Piano Concerto No. 12 in A major, KV 414
Piano Concerto No. 14 in E-flat major, KV 449
Piano Concerto No. 17 in G major, KV 453
Piano Concerto No. 18 in E-flat major, KV 456
Piano Concetto No. 20 in D minor, KV 466
Piano Concetto No. 21 in C major, KV 467
Piano Concetto No. 23 in A major, KV 488
Piano Concetto No. 25 in C major, KV 503
Piano Concerto No. 27 in B-flat major, KV 595

L. VAN BEETHOVEN
Piano Concerto No. 1 in C major, Op. 15

F. CHOPIN
Piano Concerto No. 2 in F minor, Op. 21

R. SCHUMANN
Piano Concerto in A minor, Op. 54

J. BRAHMS
Piano Concerto No. 1 in D minor, Op. 15

B. BARTOK
Piano Concerto No. 3

K. SZYMANOWSKI
Symphony No. 4 for Piano and Orchestra, Op.60 (Symphonie Concertante)

ahahahah da mo INZANE sheeeyat iz

diz mofoz rep apparently contain ZERO PIMP

to becummah an intenationally tourin penizt n not play ANY PIMP, diz muz be a record tru

even da MAKZIM haff a zemi rezpecable vid of da fuckin HUNG RAPPAH2 man

wtf :sunglasses:

The only two Liszt’s works that Grigory Sokolov played are La Campanella and Spanish Rhapsody, because of Tchaikovsky competition. Never again he played any Liszt. The same with Andras Schiff - only his Liszt I know is Leggierezza, on Tchaikovsky competition as well. Only Uchida’s Liszt I know is First Concerto.

I’d say many of the young pianists wouldn’t have more than a few programmes, although it’s a bit unfair as they’re still young and the emphasis these days in on having your programmes super polished and secure rather than getting through heaps of rep.

Yeah, that’s true. Actually the most important thing today is that you have a lot of piano concertos in your repertoire…

Zimerman is the first that comes to mind, for me. Probably smaller than Anderszewski.

Bearing in mind, this would be only performing repertoire. I’m sure they would have learnt loads more. Perahia knows a lot more than us performed. I guess it’s an obvious remark.

True. Zimerman knows much more works then he performs but yes, he limited his solo repertoire in the last 15 years. Who knows how many times he played Chopin Sonatas…

I hope that Volodos won’t became like that - his concerto repertoire is quite small, although it includes some of the most difficult concertos - Brahms 2, Prokofiev 2, Rach 2, 3, Tchaikovsky 1, Beethoven 3.

I thought about Zimerman too. Another which spring to mind is Buniatishvili - I heard her in 2012 and talked a little to a friend afterwards, and it turned out he had seen her in almost the exact same program four years earlier. She finally threw it out in 2015 though, so - good girl.

She has too many photoshoots to find the time to learn new rep.

Diz mofo said of da Ziff in da Art of 88 documentary “he played faster den he could”

From dat point on - I refuse to hear a note this pretentious prick plays. 8)

Tru, even da BARREN n Tureck had sum pimp in deir rep.

Da Brendull as well!
Da Lipatti even had da pimp meth in his solo progs

Brendel played heaps of Liszt.

Actually, tru. :blush:

I remember he has a pimpzon wiz sum “interp” in da first octs sect

Hmmmm. Which mofo dun play ANY Liszt.

Da Russian school mofos all played da pimp, da Feinberg played much less den da other, but still had da Meph 1 and Feux Follets. Rezpek

Let moi think… which randomazz golden age mofos dun play Liszt…

I can only think of da Schnabel at da moment, but he did program Liszt in his youth.

Gieseking didn’t play a whole ton, but recently da Liebstraume 2, 3, Legende 2 popped up, and also da Liszt 1 dat he recorded twice.

He also had da pimpzon n DJ in his rep.
I guess da Ughida (sic) dun play Liszt, tru?

Not only that, but Horowitz described it as “not bad”, so it must’ve been pretty fucking amazing. :pimp:

Well, Leschetitzky took him, so his playing must have been all around wikid.

AHAHAHAH WUT A CUNT

randomly diz zhud haff been evident juz from readin hiz rep lizt :sunglasses:

Ziff played at just da right speed, thank you very much!
Tru.

Man, da Ziff GGC and Germrape are still some of my fave recs ever
I use his cheats in da GGC

Here’s a quote from a certain Hungarian famous penist who studied at the LISZT-Academy but who NEVER plays one note of Liszt:
“There’s total antipathy between me and Liszt, but at the same time admiration at his mastery. I find his personality unappealing -­ the playboy turned hermit. It’s like a man who has told too many lies for too long, and now he’s telling the truth, but it’s too late! His music is just vulgar.”

Shitty Schiff.
independent.co.uk/arts-enter … 37194.html

Well, when people make statements like that it simply reveals their lack of in-depth Liszt knowledge.

Then again, everyone is untitled to their own opinion.
They just need to back it up with some specifics - except when they open any Liszt score - it is beyond their musical grasp 8)

Either way, it doesn’t diminish Liszt’s worth - he impacted da future of m*sic while nobody will listen to their shitty recordings in 50 years 8)