Iz it pozzible to be a DEEP ARTIZT wiz a zhallow vacuouz perzonality?

Amen.

Honestly? Maybe whatever personality an artist has aside from music - is irrelevant.

Sum legendaire mofos can be arrogant pieces ov zheeyat.

How about we treat pianists like JAV stars, we dun care what dey actually haff to say unlezz it relates to deir profession :sunglasses:

1 Like

I wud harzhly prefah a penizt be an arrogant cunt legend lyk da KAZTLE den a borin vacuouz cunt lyk da WANG :sunglasses:

1 Like

Da KASTLE is a legendaire mofo

:european_castle: “da rockmoninoff use anotha scam - he plays da hardest part of Liszt’s hardst zong (rappah 2) quietly”

1 Like

Da :zif: facialz at da end of GGC and zimilar sheeyatz are randomly legendary. “Can YOU do dat, mofoz?”

2 Likes

Da ZIFF arrogance wuz tempered by hiz reverence fo religion

He zaw himzelf az above mere mortalz, but below God, n dat kept him on a zmooth gensui level :sunglasses:

2 Likes

But knowing yo own worth on stage is not arrogance

Beat yo own azz when u prax n seek zum gud zheeyat

But when u unleazh, be a

:tophat:
:pimp:

2 Likes

Yeah, from the memoirs I would never get the impression that da Ziff wuz arrogant, if anything more struggling with self doubt.

1 Like

From what I gathered from people who knew him, and meeting his family, he seemed like an incredibly humble, gracious and generous human being.

4 Likes

This.
The thing is, none of us here know YW personally, so you can’t say she is shallow and vacuous. I’ ve always had the impression that her personality in interviews and what she presents publicly is just part of who she really is, and the deep, sensitive side, which was obvious to me in the concert hall, is kept hidden. Most of you haven’t even heard her live. I can say that of the 100+ recitals I’ve heard of the most famous pianists in the world over the past 5 years, her playing of the slow movement of the Schubert sonata 959 made the biggest impression on me.

2 Likes

Let’s reverse the question: will your playing be shallow, superficial if you are well-read, soul-searching, eloquent, vividly intelligent, thoughtful, profound?
The answer is: tiz possible but tiz not very likely.

2 Likes

I agree that Yuja’s playing is somewhat shallow, but in the best possible way. Like Gieseking, her playing is technically astonishing, yet interpretively lightweight (IMO). In particular, her strict adherence to the score reminds me of Richter, who never exaggerated a rubato in his life. Trifonov, on the other hand, makes me cringe in nearly every rec with his forced mannerisms.

In other words, she just plays what’s on the fucking page. :rectum:

2 Likes

To me, there is no “good way” to play shallowly, because the word “shallow” in relation to interpretation is by definition a negative thing.

If anything, the opposite is true for me when talking about Geese-king. But perhaps you mean his earliest recordings?

There are thousands of pianists dead and alive who only played strictly what’s on da fucking page yet their interpretations can still be profoundly different. Thank God for that!

2 Likes

Listening to Yuja in the Beethoven 1,2. I think canuck on to something I hadn’t thought about. Its the same things I like about Ruby’s Mozart. Rather than what does this scale mean in the scheme of humanity and great art, and how can I best appear to communicate that perhaps the more accurate thinking is maybe a B flat major scale is just that and in the right proportion to other elements presented perfectly magical on the whole. She can do this balanced element playing that is way rarer than her other qualities. Hope she leans into that skillset.

2 Likes

Daim, I haven’t heard him in a while, he went full-wtf?

The only recordings of herz which did NOT make an impression on moi wuz da Chop Preludes, Schumann Kreiz n Brotha Hamcleavage

Well, I find that even something like understanding all da harmonies, voice leading n even knowing da singah phrasing (in song trannies fo instance) dun necessarily guide interp more den how it sounds acoustically - away from da score even, in da long run

Da well-informed interp pozz juz a starting point

Dere are many interesting elements in da Chop zurkaz fo instance, like a BAZZ line, which dun have to be made into da foreground - they exist as a compositional tech dat da cumpoozah used

Same applied to many inner voices etc

In addition to being attractive she is very very charming. Naturally charming. So it’s possible in interviews people don’t notice or don’t mind that she has nothing to say. It’s just part of the human makeup to have that cloud judgement (hi Boris Johnson).

this is true for me but I also haven’t heard any of the Russian greats (aside from Sokolov) or pretty much anyone else. We’ll each have our own reaction but things get clouded when someone’s both attractive and charming. It’s just the way it is. Herman from rmcr described her playing well, about how she sounds the same in different composers and styles, and has these modes she falls into (weepy in Chopin & Schumann, for example).

Tru, juz lyk da DOC :sunglasses: except u aint a fan ov hiz azz

I value da fact dat we can hear many interpretationz ov workz and among dem I love da fact we haf neutral interpretationz who juz play wutz in da zcore and ezchew any deliberate intervention ov perzonal touchez and mannerizmz

Dependz on da attitude when goin into liztenin - do I want to juz hear da piece - or do I want to hear da pianizt unfettered n free to do zumzheeyat different n perzonal wiz it.

Ov courze diz can verge into diztorted terrain - which iz dangerouz n hit n mizz but zumtymz rewarding.

Top 3 peniztz - Ziff Ho Friedrice - all cummah thro wiz a balance - U can hear tiz dem immediately wiz deir inimitable perzonal approachez to dynamicz, agogicz, rhythm, rubato, tone etc. - but all at da zervice ov makin da muzik mo wikid.

An interpretah iz lyk a kid wiz a colourin in book - u can be happy if da kid juz keepz it zimple n colourz in faithfull to da written text, n u can be pizzed off if da kid uzez bold inzane colourz juz to be quirky, but da moz gifted kid iz da one hu uzez imagination to bring forth gensui touchez ov hiz own to da black n whyt outline. Not diztortin da original image, not bein plain n predicktable - but findin a unique way to bring out da gensui full colour potential ov wut wuz dere in black n whyt.

Pozz a zheeyat analogy I juz woke up tru :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I understand, and I’m not really trying to change anyone’s viewpoint, but for me that first time I heard her live was the greatest shock I’ve experienced in the concert hall. I was not a fan before that and I was not favourably predisposed towards her. I actually don’t find her that charming; she usually comes across as far too flippant for my taste. These days I’m all about Vorotnaya when it comes to feminine charms amongst pianists.

1 Like