Josef Hofmann Queens Hall Broadcast 1935 - London International Broadcast

This broadcast preserved you guys think?

s-l1600

1 Like

Ok answered my question refers to the e minor concerto fragment still kinda cool though…

1 Like

Yeah something like that. Or the 1936 Buenos Aires broadcast recital, apparently lost in a fire. I heard from Francis Crociata that there’s still a very small chance some broadcast from Ford Sunday Evening Hour of January 24, 1937 could show up. The treasure there would be the Pimp HR 12.

2 Likes

Luckily another broadcast of the whole mofo exists.

1938 wiz Barbirolli

2 Likes

Check out this british archive of this perf. A record of it preserved by Godowsky’s son. Wonder if that’s the Marston source or if different.

http://cadensa.bl.uk/uhtbin/cgisirsi/?ps=3uX9qBi6Rs/WORKS-FILE/45950033/9

Hah! So that rec was made for Godowsky?

It’s similar today actually, the recs I make also go to several top tier pianists who want to snoop on the competition (not always with my enthusiastic approval I might add).

1 Like

X, I know about the 38 and 41 Beethoven 4 but what about this 1930 broadcast rec from April?

IMG_6152

Hehe yes damn, this almost got me excited for a while there. But it’s a mislabeling alas - they mean 1938-04-04 (the Golden Jubilee Concert).

Shoot! Does anybody have Horowitz recording matrix logs from European Recordings - especially lost Brahms pag stuff…? May as well check the unlabeled test pressings they have there for kicks.

Remember used to be in the book which I lost : (

Yes… Though I’d need a day to find them!

1 Like

(they’re photocopies, in a binder or pile of paper)

I found the matrices in the Horowitz group. Possible good news… I think from patterns the CB/DB are being used interchangeably in other pressings matrix prefixes…

Maybe found the lost Brahms Pag side???

IMG_6153 IMG_6154

Ah, no. DB 7210 there is a catalogue number, which was only assigned for mastered pressings when they went on sale as a commercial product. The numbers you see in the logs there are the matrix numbers, which helped the labels keep track of their recording activity. The VH Brahms/Pag would have a matrix number since it was recorded, but it would not have a catalogue number since it wasn’t released.

(the C, 2B, RC etc in the matrix numbers also aren’t used interchangeably, but encodes something about the recording - the process, disc type, etc)

Got it, double shoot : (

The optimist in me is hoping for a mislabeled entry. Data is pretty sparse for commercial rec in their fastidious catalogue. Is super long shot, but firing them an email to see what I can find out about this mysterious entry. I’ll keep you posted…

1 Like