Lesser Known Liszt :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

I’m not home atm, but Johansen might have played it too?

Actually I don’t think I’ve heard Hough in this piece. I didn’t like his rewriting in the Rhapsodie Espagnole. You know, I’ve never heard any of Johansen’s recordings! I think there was something like 50+ LPs worth of Liszt alone, but I’ve not heard a note of it. At least that I can remember.

Do you have this rec of the Faust Waltz? I’m curious to hear it if you think it’s a great one. I’ve always been partial to Barere. Followed by Petri, Ginzburg, Wild, and Fiorentino.

1 Like

Yes, I just finished listening to it in fact. If you like light handed, crystal clear playing you should enjoy it, I’ll upload the disc now.

Thanks !

I enjoyed Hough’s rec a lot, but then again I’m a fan of his and others don’t seem to be as enthused about his playing generally as I am.

CJ is. I like him, but not when he changes notes. It’s something which bugs me in general.

It never bugs me. The way I look at it is there are plenty others sticking to the score, so someone making tasteful additions/changes is a novelty/bonus to me.

1 Like

Khozyainov played it on few competitions…

What is the difference between changing notes and what Busoni does?

Busoni’s is an edition, and it’s presented as such. I don’t actually like Busoni’s amendations in things like RE or La Campanella etc, but in this case it might as well be the original piece, since it’s the only one anyone except for Howard plays. Gekic added all of these quirky harmonies which sound completely out of style.

It’s interesting that it bugs you because if anything the opposite bugs me. :dong:

Strict worshipping of scores goes against the spirit Liszt himself had, he was constantly editing and modifying.

I agree though that additions should in some instances make it a new ‘arrangement’ in itself.

Bit like what Hough did with this :
https://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/tw.asp?w=W7743

‘Stephen Hough confesses he began by altering bits of Eugene Pabst’s Sleeping Beauty Paraphrase , and in the end changed virtually everything. A transcription of true virtuoso vintage, this is very much Tchaikovsky/Pabst/Hough.’

With Liszt, it’s his prerogative as the composer. On the other hand, I don’t think I would like to hear him adding cadenzas to Beethoven or Chopin. I think it’s rare that a pianist manages to make changes which I find effective. I don’t mind Horowitz’s version of the Danse Macabre for example, but I dislike what he did to Vallée d’Obermann.

1 Like

Yes, I love Hough - but I think he’s often been both more crude pianistically and more ordinary musically after 2001 or so. Still lights up on occasion however, and his wonderfully eloquent style is usually there. I travelled 600 km to hear his Liszt program a few years ago. Would still attend recitals on sight here in S - if more out of hope than expectation.

Honestly I would too, if he played anywhere except the Louvre.

Johansen is very uneven. His playing style is a bit too barren for my taste, but sometimes he is very impressive, while at other times (and maybe most of the times) he just gives you what he’s been practising since last Saturday essentially. I just checked however and I have no Figaro from him.

Aside from those mentioned I see there’s a rec by Petri too, but that’s another pianist I don’t like so I’ll leave it to others to tell if it’s worth hearing or not (I don’t remember it at all)

I didn’t realise there was a recording by him. I don’t mind him; his Kansymph run through is pozz still my favourite.

It’s a late Westminster recording. I have it on DG if you’re interested.

Yes please, that would be great!