Lesser Known Liszt :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

This? Rezpec to her for playing this.

1 Like

Yup, that thumbnail looks familiar!

Still sounds weak compared to maestro midi which was my introduction to this piece.

I still maintain that I’d rather listen to a thrillingly paced MIDI interpretation than many of Howard’s recs.

Wasn’t familiar with this piece, nice!

All three are fantastic. I’m not familiar with the recording, so thanks!

Check the uploader’s channel, posting a lot of rare Liszt in score-video form.

Yup, he is. And some Thalberg :sunglasses::laughing:

Interesting choice of recording artist for Moses haha :thinking:

1 Like

Randomly, wish that Liszt had played more interesting sheeyats. At least Thalberg played his best sheeyats.

Yeah, but… had da :pimp: actually written any of his better parasheeyats by this point? The best of the early ones imo (ie Norma and Robert) are c. 1840.

Liszt fed off Thalberg’s three hand texture far more than is commonly appreciated.

Yes, I actually really like his use of it.
But he could’ve played from the Grandes Etudes or album d’un voyager. Although the latter probably won’t have gone down well for that crowd. Maybe the Clochette Fantasy?

Wait… did a search of this concert just now, Liszt really played the Bénédiction ?

No, that’s presumably an artefact of Mayer bizarrely putting it on his duel disc.

Wikipedia dates it as 1851, so a gross anachronism.

Wiki also says the premiere of the Clochette was a fiasco, so that might be one reason for not playing it. Presumably playing fantasies was more or less de rigueur given both the environment and the fact that pre-duel Liszt (or Marie, under his byline) had been so dismissive of Thalberg’s efforts in that field. Can’t really say your competitor is poor at something and then avoid demonstrating your supposedly superior pieces of that genre.

Yeah, especially when they weren’t… at least not at that stage.
It must be that people didn’t do they’re research and just reproduced Mayer’s programme, because I’d never heard of him playing that in the duel before.

I’ve seen a few different claimed selections for Liszt’s duel programme, but often they contain similar anachronisms (eg playing the Robert le Diable, which would have been a much better option than the Weber). In fairness to Liszt, I think some of the early Thalberg fantasies aren’t especially superior to the second tier competition like Herz, Pixis, Prudent et al: GSTK is a pretty weak fantasy if you ask me. Some of the later Thalberg (Sonnambula, Don Pasquale, La Traviata, parts of op 70, etc) is quite delicious if you’re prepared to view it as uber-souped-up classicism rather than ersatz Liszt.

Thalberg is an extension of Style-Brilliante; evolutionary. Liszt was a whole new world; revolutionary.

Or pozz an extension of Schubert?

I keep seeing connections between the two.

Like this one a lot!

This is from a really excellent album:

I can scarcely imagine da burglah being played more convincingly.

What a fascinating piece :pimp:

1 Like