Mozt beautiful Melodiez ov all tym

There’s >1. Otoh, Moskowski, da ho is of course based on that, da BUZ?

I’m sure there are others but I’d need to research first.

Hmm, can’t locate the opus transcribisticum page, that would be a loss…

Yes allright but Busoni’s is the only real parasheeyat. Moszkowski and Horowitz just took a theme and embellished it on the piano. Maybe Volodos’ little thingy has more themes :thinking: but even if so it’s a 2 min sheeyat.

I suppose the idea to write opera paraphrases essentially ran its course there in Paris in the 30s and 40s. By Carmen people were rewriting Chopin’s Minute Waltz and arranged Strauss waltzes instead.

1 Like

TRU writin zheeyat bazed on da ZTRAUZZ wuz pozz da only way to get away wiz penizdick frivolity in da early 20th cuntury :sunglasses::pimp:

It’s my second favourite opera after Evgeny Onegin. I’ve seen it live in two different productions (the one which they use at Paris Opera is revolting btw). It’s even better with the original spoken dialogue.

You ever come across the Pabst paraphrase on Eugene Onegin? I’m very partial to it.

1 Like

It’s maybe my most desired opera to see live too, along with Les Huguenots (which won’t happen).

The production I saw was one big sigh too. They had placed the whole opera in the waiting room of a psychiatrist or something like that. I don’t know why they do this. If I’m going to see it live, I want the original version as Bizet intended it.

Zlow mvt of Brahms C minor Piano Foursome wins for me :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

I’ve heard of it, but I don’t recall ever listening to it.

Diz one :sunglasses:

1 Like

da title… :lib:

2 Likes

They did Huguenots here earlier this season, but I can’t really afford to go to opera and ballets these days, with the amount of piano recitals I attend (although I will attend one with Ms Tabasco next month, because she really wants to see Opéra Garnier).

I love everything about Carmen, even the original novella by Merimée, which has my favourite quote on the nature of woman:

Which roughly translates to

Ain’t it the truth.

1 Like

=)

I’m clearly not following with operas. I thought Meyerbeer was totally out of fashion, and that productions of any of his operas were rare today. Huguenots is one I’d jump at instantly here.

Hahaha diz a nu :cn: clazzic!!!

1 Like
Set design 1836

1280px-Meyerbeer_LesHuguenots_D%C3%A9corActeII

Set design 1875

1920px-Meyerbeer_Huguenots_ActIII_maquette_CharlesCambon

Set design 2018

mckzzqzb4zqv0emsg0cp

:neutral_face:

2 Likes

I know; it’s a real problem, especially here in Paris when the head of the Opera really loves these abortions. You just have to close your eyes and think of MacGyver.

1 Like

Exactly. Fuck!

1 Like

I have to admit I wouldn’t have attended this either. It not only doesn’t attract me at all, I think it’s a farce - it’s almost disrespectful. I wouldn’t have felt like I had experienced the opera after this, in much the same way I didn’t with Carmen set in a psychiatrist’s office last week.

Are those Borg cube alcoves?

2 Likes

Funnily enough 2 which spring to mind are Dvorak.

Heard da zym once and never forgot dat opening glorious tune.

Da zcrib 4 opening

Scrib imp op 14 no 2 opening

2 Likes