New repertoire/programs of living pianists

He’s been playing a short piece by Stéphane Delplace recently. So this might be another composer he’ll programme more often. I actually don’t like the piece very much.

Mein Gott, da Chewbacca playeth da 88

A bit banal perhaps, but I’m for any departure from the standard rep so kudos nonetheless.

eh, I’d rather it be good music. There’s a lot of that which is non-standard anyway. Even Haydn is practically non-standard these days. Just as long as he doesn’t programme Schubert, who I will only accept in Liszt’s song transcriptions.

1 Like

Yes but there is much which is which never has entered the standard rep - even by Haydn.

Agreed though, this was more Christmas carol than composition.

The Magin Kreso mentioned above is going to be recorded (studio version) and released on CD. I presume this will happen soon, which means he won’t have time to play it in.

Wow Christina Miller looking right in that poster. fingers of barere face and body of a Victoria’s Secret model… Wish I could buy stock in pianists :frowning:

Countdown to dating a DG executive lol

2 Likes

Are you talking only about his compositional activity? He was also a pianist – I used to have the 8 CD (or so) box-set of his Chopin. It was miked up poorly / piano sounded aggressive, like a Melodiya recording. No opinion as such.

… here is his complete program.

Heidelberger Frühling 2011
Konzert vom 10. April in der Alten Aula der Universität Heidelberg
Igor Levit (Klavier)

Franz Schubert / Franz Liszt: “Sei mir gegrüßt” S 558
Franz Schubert: Moments musicaux D 780
Franz Liszt: 12 Études d’exécution transcendante S 139

1 Like

Any idea why they only uploaded 7 of them? Are there any recordings floating around of him playing the complete set?

Good news. Pletnev has brought Beethoven’s op. 111 back to his repertoire. He’ll play a Mozart / Brotha recital in asia in June

3 Likes

The complete recital was broadcast years ago. In case of interest I’ll upload it.

3 Likes

Yes please!

1 Like

Zimy got back back to Brahms 3rd sonata, which he just played at Suntory Hall in Tokyo:

FB_IMG_1551361125525

FB_IMG_1551361105618

1 Like

He’ll play pretty close to my place next week, with a different first half if this information is correct.
https://www.acros.or.jp/english/events/115.html

1 Like

They still haven’t published the programme he’ll play here. Personally, I’d rather hear da 88’s programme, since I’ve heard the Brahms 3rd played several times already, and I doubt he’ll do it better than Freire.

I also really like his Mazurkas - and the Brahms-2 better than the Brahms-3. I’m a bit skeptical of his status atm, but if he plays like he used to do I think that’ll be a great concert.

1 Like

My wife read the review of Zim’s Suntory rectal, which was mainly positive.
But like Pogo-san, it seems he’s now playing from sheet music. If that affects one’s quality of performance is open for debate…

1 Like

He’s such a control freak, I’m surprised he didn’t start playing using the sheet music sooner.

Howevah she also read some non-official reviews by guys who weren’t so enthusiazdick…
…Stating that because of page-turning in some of the Scherzos, the music simply stopped in da middle of a phrase (??) No cash to hire a page-turnah?
…That his style changed into something more aggressive and extreme (Pogo-influence?)
…That his playing was sometimes messy and full of mistouches
…That the elegance & perfection of his usual style were lacking
… etc.

DAYUM, diz zound a bit legendary :sunglasses:

3 Likes