Penizts wiz a most beautiful sound

HAHAHAHA

Volodos, Hamelin and Michelangeli, in that ordah

Welcome. 8)

Be sure to get the Fiorentino recitals in da Recs sect

Thx, will do, shud be gud

Rezpek yozelf

I agree on most of your dead pianists, Imacandian… except Cliburn. I would add: Maria Yudina, Vedernikov and Maria Grinberg. HI ol’ friend!!! So GREAT to see you!!

Living: Can’t say on most except Lupu and Freire. Someone I love is Benjamin Grosvenor. And he will be alive for a long time to come, I hope.

You’re absolutely right, he doesn’t belong with those other names. I was thinking of his wonderful Rachmaninoff 3rd when I wrote that. His tone in that recording is really special, but few of his other recordings are as easy on the ears.

Volodos, Arrau, Sokolov, Bolet, Cherkassky… are a few which immediately spring to mind. And I definitely agree on Cliburn for what it’s worth, although maybe primarily very early in his career.

Perceptive of the TS to include Moiseiwitsch too! A friend of mine actually heard him live, and especially remembered what a beautiful sound he had.

daim, to have heard da MOIZTAH live…

Yeah! He’s still alive and kickin too.

rezpek

Many pianists but Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, Bruno Leonardo Gelber and Earl Wild are my favourite.

other Pianist: Hofmann, Rachmaninov, Cortot, Gieseking, Kempff, Casadesus

Agree with Cliburn’s sound especially his early years. I love Arthur Rubinstein’s sound, too.

Yes, Wild of course! But there I’d actually say primarily during his last years. I heard him several times during the 00s, and while neither fingers or memory were what they once had been the sound he drew from the instrument was magical. Same with Arrau incidentally, who also created an unforgettable sound world well in to his 80s.

Can anyone explain, define or quantify beautiful sound/tone?

Attack, volume, pedalling?

Can anyone quantify, define or explain beautiful anything?

1 Like

Yes. John Keats: "Beauty is truth, truth beauty, —that is all / Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know”

Well, quite so… But then defining truth is equally hard - philosophers have been trying to tie it down for centuries!

Anyone here a fan of Pirsig? I think beauty is like his Quality: you can’t define it, but you know it when you see it.

1 Like

Quickly, but tone is simply in the way the keys are struck - your voice at the piano. Sound is more an imaginatve quality and is in how you pedal, phrase and use different types of touch (or not) to create a signature “sound”.