Penizts wiz a most beautiful sound

Yes, that’s my thoughts as well. I don’t think a good ear produces a good sound - that’s your musical mind and your imagination - but the ear is the feedback loop which ensures you’re sounding the way you intend. If you have a good sound, that’s a sign of a good ear as well, but if you don’t that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s because you’re not hearing yourself.

Not that I have any aspirations as a pianist, but this is randomly one of my biggest problems myself. I find it really hard to listen to myself while I’m occupied with the playing, and when I record myself I rarely sound the way I thought I did. Accents are too strong, tone is harsh, the clarity isn’t there, the rhythm is wrong, etc. In absence of a teacher pointing things out for you a pair of microphones really go a long way.

Don’t worry CJ, the ability to really hear oneself is a problem that many well known pianists have. Hence why projection is such an issue. This was something I used to stress about a lot when I was trying to be a pianist. However, when I came here and started attending a lot of concerts I quickly realised that no one seems to judge it particularly well, and you have to make a choice who you play for. For things like accents etc, a microphone does indeed help.

2 Likes

Yes, agreed, it’s really difficult to understand that whilst you might think you’re playing really expressively from your throne in front of da 88, the mics often tell a completely different story.

That’s why Glenn Gould practiced with the vacuum cleaner on.

1 Like

He was trying to get over some “block”