Pianists' favourite pianists

His recordings of the Schubert-Liszt songs were moving. I never find his playing to be calculating, well structured perhaps, but always edifying (which is something I really value). I also like his variety of touch, for example in his op39/6 (easily the best recording of this work imo). I also love that tone that he can generate for example in the cadenzas of the F-sharp minor and D minor concerti.

He also can play in a sweet melting tone, but also a rougher, more percussive one.

Doez ANYONE noe who da DOCz fav peniztz were growin up?

Caped Ray?

The impression I’ve had is that he was more in to composers than pianists and bought records based on repertoire rather than performer, but if any I’d say golden agers. It’s all I’ve heard him talk about, and his dad was a Godowsky buff. He himself collected Medtner recordings. I also don’t think his playing has a lot in common with the generation 1900-1940, while I can see a link to the first generation of recording artists and his rough contemporaries.

2 Likes

Hiz dad wuz a huge Cortot Chopetz fan.

Can’t hear dat influence at all :sunglasses:

Tru I wuz azkin bazed upon already azzumin he wuz a REP mofo not a PERF mofo

He wud juz ziteread n play zheeyatz himzelf, explainz hiz zkillz!

1 Like

No and even with Medtner the records had Medtner playing his own music, Godowsky was a composer who interested them who also left recordings and so on. I think his primary love growing up was this last (?) generation of composer/pianists, but more for their compositions than their piano playing.

2 Likes

Hiz playing iz a bit zmooth and non-dezcript but I wud argue tiz often da bezt way to hear an objective view of da piece

U vil hear it when he rec da chopetz :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hahah

Rock loved Moiseiwitsch.

2 Likes

And also loved da Hofmann apparently

I remembah da DOC hyping Ciccolinis trillz

I remember him being on Lupu’s dick during an interview during a D960 phase.

3 Likes

Doc:

Do you have any favorite pianists among the legendary figures of the past (or present)? Any favorite recordings or concert experiences?

When I was little, my father played a lot of the Golden Age pianists’ recordings — those were his favorites by far, so naturally I got to know and love them very much. I liked a lot of them — hard to pick one. Ignaz Friedman and Josef Hofmann, perhaps. As far as now, people like Freire, Lupu, Uchida, Ax, Andsnes and Zimerman…well, the world would be much poorer without them.

Two of the concerts that particularly affected me (in a positive way!) were Shura Cherkassky’s two Montréal appearances back in the late 70s, when I was an impressionable youth.

3 Likes

Rezpekkkk

But dose 2 mofos in wildly different styleez