pletnev - recordings request today - verbier, 2018

If the program outputs FLAC the only lossy compression will be from the source stream, but it will pull the stream through your soundcard so there will be an analogue quality loss from there. The best alternative is to download the source stream, but when it can’t be done the second best is to record to a lossless format using whichever computer in your vicinity which has the hottest sound circuits.

FLAC and WAV are interchangeable when it comes to quality. The only advantage with WAV over FLAC is that it requires a tad less CPU to encode/decode (no practical difference), and the only advantage with FLAC over WAV is that you get smaller files.

1 Like

‘record what you hear’ is fine, since it catches the stream in-front and not behind the sound card (like audacity), so quality is usually better, since it’s not hardware dependent and skips at least one en/de-coding step.

1 Like

I’m recording it now, but I won’t have time to split and tag like I normally do. At least this way you’ll get it quicker, because otherwise it might’ve had to wait maybe until mid-next week.

Interesting what does that mean?