Programme from Hell

I’m still waiting to find that one - but thanks to Levit I love 49#1 now.

1 Like

A terrible piece or a great piece being butchered? What’s harder to live with?

1 Like

Hamelin Plays:

Schumann Kinderenzenen and Fantasy first half and 960 second… no encores

3 Likes

Brahms Handel Vars are not to my taste no more.

where???

oh never mind. image image image image image

Pogo plays late Feldman.

Pogo: not zlow enough.
How is there no pogo emoji?

4 Likes

Tru, still looking for a photo of Pogo covered in his wife’s blood :open_mouth:

2 Likes

:fire:

Mozart K. 570
Schubert D.960
Tchaikovsky Grand Sonata Op.37
Boulez Sonata n.2

hahaha da Tchaik seasons is gud music

1 Like

It’s the context. I love several pieces from the opus, but I’d find all 12 in succession tiresome with 9 out of 10 pianists - and especially if it’s paired with the 18 drawing room pieces from Op.72 immediately afterwards.

For me it’s really about variety and the program as a whole rather than its constituents. I think Horowitz was good at programming, Cherkassky too. I don’t think Sokolov, Sofronitsky or Cziffra were.

Tchaik solo works really are hard to pull off. It’s surprising that they are so ineffective compared to the concerti.
I do like how Schumanesque Pletnev makes the seasons, they’re nearly all successful. His op.72 are meant to be good too, been meaning to listen to them.

I like Tchai’s Opus 40 - nice, easy character pieces, not so well-known except the Chanson triste. No masterpieces, but still fun to play or listen to…

And the Chanson triste is lovely. He has a few of these simple pieces which are quite beautiful, but otherwise it’s really only the Dumka and maybe 19#6 I care for among his piano music. I think his greatness lies more with the orchestra, while I get the impression his piano pieces were more written to earn a quick buck.

Brilliant trannie.

1 Like

I like some pieces from the seasons and I teach from Opus 39 regularly because it’s still very popular in Japan - but you’re right, the true essence of Tchai lies in the orchestral works plus the Ballet music and operas of course. One of my fav. Tchai noises is his “Souvenir de Florence” (don’t get me wrong but it’s a string sex :sunglasses:)

1 Like

And of course da trio.
The 19/4 nocturne is played quite often as a cello trannie and works quite well.
(I’m just reading that he did it himself and also for cello/orch)

My choice too.
Da dumka n da vars op 19 both in da TM rep.