Rachmaninoff vz. Zcriabin

You can be influenced by harmonic language but can you be influenced by melodic gift and lyricism?

Aaron copland sucks. Gaddang Hillbilliy mahler symphs. No thanks!

Heā€™s second rate, but thatā€™s better than most.

2 Likes

In hindsight Iā€™ve always enjoyed what I heard of his live (billy kid, rodeo, think symp 3ā€¦) Hmmm

I like his Piano Vars and Sonata. Keyboard ā€œlike,ā€ not love.

1 Like

Haff u heard any film muzic of da lazt 80 yearz? :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Datz tru.

Whut really grabs moi wuz late Scrib is da extremely original harmony plus da crazy attention to detail n perfection of form.

2 Likes

Tru. Dats a well-known quote. Scriabin felt that he needed to simplify the phrase structures to make his music ā€œfollowableā€

Hahaha TRU but I uzually azzociated dat wiz KORNGOLD n HOLZT etc but tru da ROCK played a part. Tho da ROCK didnā€™t invent a nu zoundworld zo much az define n refine an exiztin one. But tru alzo cuntradicktorily he wuz an original voice ā€¦but again cuntradicktorily da elementz ov hiz voice dat wuz original didnt really carry forward in deze influencez - u cud zay dey wuz juz az influenced by da ROCKz own influence da TCHAIK

But da ZCRIB influenced a zkool ov cumpozaz, lyk da FEINBERG, ROZLAVETZ etc.

1 Like

Tru, mozt peeple h8 diz.

1 Like

Dats rite. It is not ā€œeasy listeningā€ by any means

As for Rach, I far prefer Tchaik.

Glenn Gould is that you?

hahaha it is a great piece, Iā€™m also guilty of liking the Glenn Gould recording (as conductor)

Yup, I kind of like his weird piano version too. You get that Gould really enjoys Wagner emotionally and it comes across, which is pretty rare with him.

wut u mofos smokin, da wagner wrote some of da greatest orchestral sheeyat evah (just go listen to the preludes and overtures from da operas, nevermind even siegfried idyll, youtube has lots of these compilations), and fo sho he had heavy influence on da rach and scrib bothā€¦full of wagnerian chords and harmonies. His orchestral shit AT LEAZT on par with da Mahler symphonies.
in mah humble opinion hahaha

2 Likes

Yup, imo da WANKAH one of the very few mofoz to cummah close to :nigga: in terms of greatest of the greats.

1 Like

I think the gould transcription and perf of that piece is one of my favorite recordings of all timeā€¦ Gould (and piano) at his best