Richter’s Liszt TEs

New restoration?!!!

Grabbing this now, yes oh yes!
Dude, thank you! Fuck!

the lost Mephs :frowning:

haha remember the Trumofo Richter Meph 1 obsession?

almost as bad as da Lolita saga

Even da x has digged that one up from the archives :blush:

1 Like

Oh, and I’m 99% sure the tapes still exist. We just don’t have them. As so often is the case with these archives however I bet they’re no more than an e-mail and 150€ away.

Really? @iamcanadian

I’ve always assumed that there’s no other material from these concerts. I have to imagine they’d have been released by now, since this is some of Richter’s best playing. BNR released those concertos (Tchaik 1, Mozart 20, Brahms 2) a few years back, so surely they’d have released the rest if they were extant.

But I really hope I’m wrong. Those would be remarkable concerts to hear in full.

2 Likes

Agreed. I always like to hear live recordings in context rather than in a compliation like they’ve done here.

1 Like

This E-flat Schubert impromptu is really amazing. Probably the best version I’ve heard. I’m pretty sick of Schubert’s piano music atm, but he somehow makes it sound fresh again to me.

Did BNR release those on CD or just digital download?

Digital only, as far as I know.

Mp3 only, even :japanese_goblin:

Somehow I have them in FLAC. I got them from a Chinese trading group which takes lossless very seriously.

1 Like

:cn: :heart:

Oh. Maybe FLAC conversions? Can you up them?

I don’t know - both Ates and Pete T bought them from Amazon as soon as they were released, which then was Mp3 only, and passed me copies at the time. I kept an eye out for a FLAC release for a year or two, but I never saw one.

I just checked the spectrals. They’re legit.

FLAC:

Mp3:

1 Like

Nice!

How does that read btw, time on x axis, volume on y axis and frequency in spectrals, or?

Yep. LAME often utilizes a low-pass filter for the 16kHz to 20.5kHz range, which gives a pretty clear indication whether a FLAC has been transcoded from an mp3 source. There are tons of other signs to look out for, but that’s the most obvious one.

I’ll post the Brahms and the Tchaik in FLAC. I only have MP3 of the Mozart.

3 Likes

Could someone explain the visual telltale signs that prove it’s legit above?

Basically the big patch of black in the pic below shows that a chunk of the audio above 16khz has been removed to save space. The LAME encoder does this in moments where that spectrum isn’t utilized and you’d never really hear the difference. However, it does prove that the Lame encoder has been used. So, if you see a FLAC that has big patches of nothingness right at around 16 khz that could be a sign that your lossless copy was made from a lossy source.

Ideally, you’d confirm by looking for other signs of compression, such as artifacting, noise shelves, visible blocks in and around the LPF and shelf areas, etc. These signs aren’t necessarily constant between formats or encoders - for instance Vorbis doesn’t typically use low pass filtering in any medium or high bitrate encodes. Same goes for .mpc and possibly mp4. As formats get more advanced, it becomes more difficult to spot the compression. Opus, for example, is often visually and aurally transparent at ~100kbps and up.

2 Likes

Example:

2 Likes