Richter’s Liszt TEs

ahahahah da GERMRAPE n da LEGGY zheeyat r both legendary clazzikz

da zozpiro a bit zheeyat but ztill a 10/10 zong fo da chickz

da othaz lyk da forezt gump n da lamento zheeyatz zadly MEREAUX level randomnezz :sunglasses:

alzo dun forget

da Ab IRATO

a quazi clazzic :lib:

3 Likes

da LAPD iz my favourite zumtyn

Can zumone explain da LAPD nickname again, I’ve forgotten.

Te12 = chasse neige, which sounds like chasse nègre meaning negro hunt —> LA Police Department (LAPD).

6 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of Chopin; I get sick of him very easily. In fact, the études have the best staying power for me, as there are many I never tire of. However, there are a lot that I will never like and as such I prefer the TEs to either op 10 or 25.

1 Like

wow :dong:

1 Like

The Chop ets are very different from the TEs, and therefore it is difficult to compare them. The Chopets focus on one specifix technical issues and go with that. Also they are much shorter than the TEs, so it is difficult to compare them.

2 Likes

Haha dat iz a tru ztory. I remembah I think da @Catz making a shoop of da title on da firzt page

" U bettah RUN niggah"

I don’t dislike any of the TEs, but if there is one I have problems with it is Ricordanza here too. It’s so overly pretty, and not terribly interesting as a composition either. I don’t think it’s a parody, but if anything I’d guess he wrote it with the many good semi-amateur female pianists in mind - as they were seen at the time. He sure got Clara on the hook.

It’s much harder to name a favourite since all except Paysage are so tremendously impressive in their own way, but the last three are just a dizzying listening experience. I think each of them are among the best things Liszt ever wrote, and in succession they take you on a ride few other pieces can.

Yes, I was just going to make the same point as Mephisto. I do think Chopin was the better composer, and that Chopin’s studies are more ingenious, but they’re also more “etude-like” and smaller in scope. “Spiritually” and narratively I think Liszt’s win, and his is also the more pianistically advanced set (though they took form a few years later). As big a leap as Chopin’s Op.10 was you can still sense a connection to classicism and the fortepiano, while Liszt’s entirely belong to the modern era and use a fully developed modern piano technique. I also think Liszt showed a greater musical mastery of the technical inventions. Chopin presented them explicitly, but with Liszt they’re entirely integrated in to the musical fabric.

But are they better? No I don’t know…

I guess I like both composers’ sets as much but maybe that I resonate more with Liszt’s. I also understand Erwin - Liszt’s are decidedly music for and of people in their 20s, while Chopin’s aren’t time trapped in that way. I can understand it’s easier to continue to identify with Chopin’s studies as you age, while you may move further away from Liszt’s.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’d be less excited to see Chopin complete op 10, Brahms op 117, 118 or 119, Schubert D960 or Rachmaninoff’s preludes live. Op 25 is better as a set but there are still a few I could do without, and then there’s the playing; I dislike almost every current pianist’s Chopin. I like only Fray and Debargue, and their Chopin is considered divisive or iconoclastic. I’m increasingly thinking he’s just not for me.

That may be so, Brew. Your tastes are your own and I respect them.

I’m only hesitant to respect the tastes of people who simply haven’t given the music enough time or focus, and you clearly have.

Bach’s Goldberg variations and Alkan’s Concerto for solo piano are a good example for me. I acknowledge the former is a greater work, but I love the latter immeasurably more.

It’s not for lack of listening or any lack of ‘depth’ in my probing - the latter just moves me more with it’s coruscating ferocity, dramatic arc, and melodic material.

Inspired by this thread I’ve just walked home in a snowstorm to Chasse Neige. That was… magical.

5 Likes