Score reading

Hahaha rezpek mofo!

Also, you should sightfuck a score on cam fo us.

I don’t have a piano bro, and I can’t play anything apart from left hand sheeyats anyway.

This is the first video I’ve seen from this channel. What do you guys think of these cadences? I think the extended dominant chords with a flat 9th sound horrible.

True, this one’s not so bad because it’s slow. Major seconds are also relatively easy interval I think. I’d have a harder time if this were the clarinet in A (which I understand is more of an orchestral instrument).

Tru

Did you watch the basso continuo vid? I’d be interested in what you think about those cadences.

Let moi see!

Ah, the 9ths?

Well, that’s certainly is not how Bach would have prepared those 9ths…

Generally, every dissonant note needs to fall within the following category

Neighbor, incomplete neighbor, passing tone, accented passing tone, suspension (requiring a consonant preparation in the previous chord)…

What he did was treating the 9th as a non-functional note, not derived from any voice leading.

Sounds a bit sheeyat.

For figured bass, go right for sum Bach, pozz da 69 Chorales wiz figured bass.

1 Like

Cool. I managed to read the Clarinet part in the Beethoven 7th pretty easily now. There’s some “hacks” which help, for example whenever you see a flat sign in a sharp key you know it’s a natural. I’ll try with the horns next.

For horns, I imagine it using da bass cleff + a step up.

In a different register of course

What are the hardest transposed parts to read in your opinion?

Well, perhaps Clarinets in A… and maybe horns…

Combining it all and actually playing it at the piano after all the reading has been taken care of, that is pozz the hardest part?

haha no shit. Thankfully, I only have to worry about reading, not arranging at sight!

1 Like

Randomly, this is from the group that Mikey recommended. I haven’t watched it yet, but there seems to be a lot of information on this channel. Btw, I might have asked this before, but do people have any recommendations for advanced tonal harmony textbooks?

I haven’t read it but would assume Schoenberg Harmonielehre (Alzo, da John Adams Harmonielehre is awesome!)

Actually I think I read that, many years ago. If this is the same book where he derives the major scale from the overtone series. I guess I’m after something more academic, kind of like Piston but with modern notation (my memory of Piston was that everything was upper case, regardless of whether the chord was major or minor).

If I have time this week, I might go out and try to find a place where I can buy second hand scores. There has to be a music bookshop somewhere in this city.

I’m going out to find scores this afternoon. I’m mainly after classical symphonies (in particular Mozart 40 and some of the Beethoven symphonies), as these are pretty straight forward in terms of orchestration, but still be edifying.