Why Don't More Classical Musicians Impro?

Tru it begz da queztion

Wud u lyk to c a recital programme where dere iz a mix of written workz and zum zlotz fo improv?

Ov courze not every mofo wud feel comfortable wiz it, and not every mofo wud be gifted at it. But da prezuppozition in diz inztance iz dat dey iz BOTH and dat it wud offer a palette cleanze between workz, or a welcome moment ov zpontineity unique to dat recital

• Tru I wud enjoy dat
  • No I wud prefah 100% written workz

0 voters

1 Like

Da tube juzt recommended this zheeyat to me…

What about mofoz united or schittke 2nd zon with the improv’d caddiez?

3 Likes

HAHAHAH da DOC improvized caddy at 8 minz

a bit legendary :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Just a few years ago I would still have been excited about this, but today… honestly no. It would be a circus act, and the quality simply not comparable to the written program. Preluding however - go ahead.

That said reading the OP I did vote yes. If it’s someone who wants to do it and is really good at it, then I suppose okay. But preferably just an encore or similar. Assuming of course we’re not as far in to fantasy land that the premise is that our imaginary pianist would be able to improvise works on the quality level of a Beethoven Rondo or a Liszt paraphrase or similar.

3 Likes

Sure, I’d be totally fine with that. Assuming it’s someone with sufficient judgement to keep it short if they know it sucks. :stuck_out_tongue:

Well u noe how highly da Canadian regardz Jazz…and dat iz all improv

How wud it be highly regarded in Jazz and juz a circuz act in Clazz?

I mean u can lizten to da Pimp Zonata…den a random improv

U can argue dat da Pimp zonata will be betta muzik but clearly many people lizten to Jazz and enjoy it when dey know perfectly well dat dey cud inztead lizten to precompozed muzik inztead. Why wud dey make dat choice?

Classical is far more complex. I mean show me someone who can do it and I’ll change my mind, but I have never heard anyone. With jazz it’s obviously common since it works, it’s doable, and I’d even say it’s an integral part of the musical style.

1 Like

In fact I’m going to change my mind about that… Marcel Dupré I think could do it. On the organ, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t have been transferable to the piano if he had been a pianist.

I remember ztating dat Jazz iz inherently mo ‘random’ to da canadian and he took offence…but actually I ztand by it, not az a criticizm.

Wut I mean iz dat da rhythm and harmony and melody are inherently counter-predicktable and ‘interchangable’

Jazz harmony iz perpectually mo dizzonant and colour bazed, zo any random zequence ov chordz iz allowed…da main rule iz dat dere…iz no rulez

And I think wut u iz gettin at iz dat clazzical workz haf an internal rule bazed logic dat dependz upon a framework ov thematic and harmonic integrity dat zimply cud not be created zpontaniouzly without it being entirely formulaic and pointlezz

Tru?

Zo I wud argue dat a ‘clazzical improv’ wud be bezt in da form ov variationz, or an improparazheeyat dat runz thro eztablizhed melodiez wiz embellizhment and pianiztic trickz

I think it wud work bezt if da improv iz ezzentially a lezz ‘zeriouz’ work…u cant improv a zatizfactory zonata , but u cud improv a very zatizfactory waltz or mazurka etc.

1 Like

No, not really. I just mean that what’s regularly heard in the concert halls are works the greatest minds in music the world has seen typically spent weeks or months composing. To think you’d be able to come up with something on the spot you can place next to that in a program with some integrity I just think is unreasonable. And I don’t think I’m merely assuming - if it had been doable we would have seen it.

2 Likes

I partly agree, partly dizagree.

Wud u prefah a recital ov purely improv?

I think da mix idea iz da mo enjoyable to me and in a concert zetting u may be zurprized at how much u may enjoy da unpredictablenezz ov it and da excitement ov da invention being excluzively fo yo earz in dat exact hall at dat exact tym, dere iz zumzheeyat zpecial about it

I mean, take Jordi Savall for instance then. I know very little about that but from what I’ve gathered a lot of that is improvised. Honestly I really like it - I love early music in general - but it is something different than listening to a Vivaldi Concerto, or even something by Josquin des Prez or William Byrd. I think they’re two different concerts.

Is it Rsewzki who improv’d the caddy in the azzpazzion?
Think therez a tube rec zumwhere

1 Like

I think we have to hone in on what TYPE ov improv we wud find convincing

In da inztance ov a piano concerto wiz an improvized cadenza…dere wud be an immediate guarantee…

Da thematic and melodic material wud be ZTELLAR and dat wud lay a foundation fo it to be an exciting mix ov da familiar and da new

I think abzolute free improv if not in da right handz iz juz a big mezz

But take jazz…dere iz free jazz, and dere iz ‘jazz ztandardz’. In da ztandardz dey are workin wiz progrezzionz, melodiez, etc dat are already eztablizhed in termz ov quality, den dey embellizh and build on dat foundation

I think da zame approach zhud be done in zum clazz rectalz

Improvised cadenzas is something I don’t have anything against. I wouldn’t mind some improvisering (ornaments) in music from the baroque or classical era either.

However, I don’t know any improvised music that sounds as good as say the Liszt sonata or a Beethoven symphony. The non-improvised aspect (ie structure) of classical music is a lot of the reason why it sounds good.

I feel that this fethisation with improvising comes from the performers. I mean improvising in a good is really fun. Playing pop, jazz or many other types of music seams a lot more fun than classical music. However the actual music that comes out, at least to me, is inferior to classical music.

When U mention a :nigga: zymph or da Pimp zon…tru

But can u not imagine dat da :chop: cud haf improvized a mazurka dat comparez really favouribly wiz hiz written out onez?

I believe it dependz upon da form. Clazzical muzik iznt all zymphz and zonz

Tru.

When I get round to a next rectal, I plan to include impro.

I’ve already inserted short impro pzzgz into works during perfs.

1 Like

That’s correct.

Yep, he’s playing a huge cadenza in every mvmt. of da Hammerklavier
Don’t like it much

But some people like Ton Koopman overdo that - it becomes tiresome to listen to…