Wikiquote Discoveries

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Category:Pianists

I’ve been browsing this site - a very interesting resource for bite-size quotes from pianists and composers.

I thought I’d make this thread for anyone to post interesting quotes they’ve discovered!

‘The word listen contains the same letters as the word silent’ - Brendel

Better quote than most of his playing!

‘Infant prodigies do not necessarily become great musicians. I have had over three thousand pupils, and I am convinced that the proficiency which some display is no more than a manifestation of dexterity and an extraordinary natural imitative faculty of children.’ - Cortot

‘Ignaz Friedman, who I admired, was a great artist. He had wonderful fingers and a very personal, individual way of playing, even if some of his ideas were very strange to me. He had no hesitation touching up the music. I got annoyed with him at one concert when he changed the basses in Chopin’s F minor Ballade. I didn’t like that. For some reason he was happier making records than he was on the stage.’ - Vladimir Horowitz

5 Likes

The Cortot is a great one. Though I can’t help wondering about his definition of a pupil - 3000, that’s essentially a new pupil every week throughout his life.

2 Likes

Exactly! I did wonder about that bit haha.

‘I am startled, occasionally, to find “intelligence” used as the antithesis of “feeling”, as though the two played against each other. Nothing could be further from the truth. No intelligent interpretation is lacking in emotional values. What this probably means is that, depending on gifts and degree of maturity, some natures emphasize brain over heart. Where such an imbalance occurs, it must be corrected by conscious and concentrated application to emotional content. If an interpretation is unduly cerebral, liveness and color can be infused into it by attention to whether the theme is now in the right hand, now in the left; whether it is supported by an accompaniment which has significance of its own, or merely hums along.’

• Moiseiwitsch

I like his take on this, he’s one of my all time favourites.

'‘I liked him [Arthur Rubinstein] as a pianist. He was a good musician and had a fantastic repertoire. He never had a great technique, but certain things he played well. I heard him play some of the Chopin etudes, the easier ones with great panache and I told him I had never heard them played better. He said, “Do you mean it?” and I said, “Yes, I do mean it.”’ - Horowitz

:whale::whale::whale: Da HO backhanded compliment ‘the easier ones’

3 Likes

hahahaha i lyk thiz quote from a book i’m reading:

:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Haha Horowitz of all people - being annoyed with Friedman’s changes in the score?
:sunglasses:

What he meant to say
“Fucker unleashed the F minor ballade coda n did not show moi the fingering aftah. Den Wanda pulled me out of his dressing room”

3 Likes

Ziff on critics “carrion beetles of the mind”, etc., has been one of my favourites for a long time.

2 Likes

hahaha da zlit… I see, so u end up with a poorer copy of yo fave rec and a superficial understanding of the music. You know, dis explains da slit playing playing a in an nutshell. BAM

Memorising notes as one memorises a speech in foreign language is bound to lead to memory lapses. YouTube is an invaluable tool; you can get to study your repertory with the best pianists of all times. Use it. If you are learning a piece, don’t hesitate to put your headphones on and just play along with your favourite recording. No matter how many times you hear the playing you will not grasp all the finer points if not directly measuring your inner hearing of music with the an interpretation you like.

1 Like

HAHAHA da :rocky: yeah yeah yeah, ok, so I won’t learn da Rach 4 :sunglasses:

The virtuosos look to the students of the world to do their share in the education of the great musical public. Do not waste your time with music that is trite or ignoble. Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Saharas of musical trash.

Yes because we all know how reliable da slit’s memory is.

What the utter fuck? YT is great for entertainment purposes, but it’s the last frigging place I’d go when I was learning something.

1 Like

A glaring omission under da dongah:
‘Like two hands fighting’

2 Likes

And yet the piece she’s most famous for playing is EL CONTRABANDISTA :grin:

You don’t like the Contrabandista?

Best thing ever :blush:

1 Like

that is a great recording.

yeah wtf

Someone should add Artur Schnabel to the list - his writings on music are very interesting.
https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Artur_Schnabel