Yo Fav Miniaturist

Those that are generally cunsidered better in (or wrote a significunt amount of) smaller pieces.

• Zhoe
  • Mendy
  • Chop
  • Grieg
  • Rock
  • Medtner
  • Kan
  • Scrib

0 voters

1 Like

daim tha ZHOE and KAN meet again :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I like da KAN miniaturez, but he only wrote one good zet. SHOE winz thiz one for me, followed clozely by CHOP, and then ROCK, Mendy.

Grieg and Medtner not bad either, Scrib bezt in zon form

1 Like

Probably Scrib. From any period.
His late stuff after op 60 is a blast too. Sublime.

1 Like

I disagree, many of his Etudes and Preludes are masterpieces. And the Vers la Flamme n other poems?

Daim da list goes on and on.

Tru, he’s a master of Son form too.

2 Likes

Too much Chopin influence in many of his early works for my taste to consider him a truly distinctive miniature composer like Schumann or Mendelssohn.

Other pieces like the 3 etudes and Vers la Flamme are unique but there is not enough of them to cement him.

1 Like

Agreed.

I still think he wrote a TON of epic great miniatures.
Hell, da op 74 preludes would add him to da gensui list even if dat wiz da only surviving SCRIB sheeyat.

2 Likes

For me Scriabin’s early works ride off Chopin in the way that Lyapunov rides off Liszt. Still good but too derivative. Brilliantly derivative though

1 Like

This impossible for me to decide somehow. I abstain

2 Likes

Tru, I only obliged out rezpec for da forum :eggplant:

2 Likes

It’s Zhoe or Grieg for moi. I vill haff to think.
I do like da Mendy zongz without zheeyatz but da cumparable quantity/quality is not quite there.

1 Like

I agree but that pretty much ends after the Op 25 Mazurkas.
Even his earliest works got dat special kind of melancholy Russian spirit and arguably, go past da non-developmental aspects of many Chopin works

Pozz da tru masterpiece of the early Scriabin period is da Op 8 Etudes, which work great as a set:

That was one of my Naumburg comp programs dat year too. Didn’t matter, still got defeated by da Tiff Poon :dong:

2 Likes

Zcrib - hiz prelz are an embarrazzment ov richez

Chopz prelz n mazurkaz a cloze 2nd

2 Likes

I zecond dat.

1 Like

No votes for da Medtner? Maybe I shouldn’t bother with him den :wink:

1 Like

Becuz hiz Zkazi are moztly at leazt 3-4 minz and not minituariztz

I don’t even think ov RACHz prelz az miniaturez

Zcrib da winnah becuz he cumpozd many preludez dat lazt only 1 minute long and make mini maztaworkz ov dem

1 Like

But hafin zaid dat, if da queztion iz which great cumpoza zpecialized and excelled in miniature I’d vote fo GRIEG

Hiz Ballade/varz iz great, and da Zon iz pretty gud

But all da otha cumpozaz wuz univerzally great in both long n zhort workz

1 Like

Da Raindrop is 5 minutes, you wouldn’t call dat a miniature? I think it’s more to do with form dan length.

1 Like

Tru…tiz 4 pagez

But mozt Medtner Zkazi are mo den 4 pagez

On da baziz of 88zt poztz I muzt vote fo da hinty… NOT.