1st International Chopin Competition on Period Instruments

Kawaguchi (highlights: octave etude and ballade no2) and Hajduk (highlights: Bach P&F, the Oginski Polonaise and Chopin polonaise 71-3)

Cool, thanks!

I only heard bits and pieces of the morning session (not including Kawaguchi), but somewhat interesting was also a Japanese looking girl in blue dress. She was the one I referred to above who I thought was difficult to judge. The remaining ones I heard sucked I thought.

From yesterday definitely Ablogin, and there were many others too who were good but not very interesting artistically. The Rumanian chick for instance (Visovela or something like that), the French monsieur (~Afraye~). If you’re short on time however I’d say skip them.

What?? Dinara Klinton is just about to play??

This Shintaro dude gets a thumbs down from me though.

Shit, I like her!

Yeah she’s good. Can’t imagine her on one of these tho.

And I have to go.

I’ll watch her tonight.

I like that this competition has a higher age limit than usual. We finally have a chance at hearing some decent musicians, since it’s pretty rare with pianists less than 30.

Props to Kawahara for not playing the Maria Szymanowska Polonaise. :doc:

Klinton just started the Barcarolle, surprisingly good!

I definitely prefer her on a Steinway D, however.
Although the trills come across very nicely on this instrument.

Did any of you watch the Polish cavalry which followed? Anywan guud?

Agnieszka Korpyta’s portamento in Bach was unbearable, it sounded like Glenn Gould on a toy piano. Her Polonaise in G sharp minor was gorgeous though.

Klinton hasn’t missed a competition since 1998.

haha =)

Yeah, I don’t really know what she has to gain from them at this point.

Also surprised she was born in 89. I thought she was like 40.

So remaining Polish pianists nothing special either?

Probably not, they are not allowed to play mazurkas in this round.

Thirty is the age limit for most competitions. She will be completely forgotten in 2020.

She’s striking up a career as piano teacher in London. She’s taken care of a friends’ daughter for the past year or two. He recorded a recital with her last fall too which was really good.

Or maybe this competition is her big turning point? :wink:

Oh, they’re actually still playing! I thought the session had ended.