20th-21st century music challenge!

yeah, go ahead and post them. i dont think ill be getting the others. your pickings are a bit too academic for my contemporary/modern music tastes, i think.

ok, all the answers are up.

these are all mainstays, arguably, but i wouldnt have expected most people to get a lot of them. like i said before, its a very academic approach to the music of the 20th/21st century. it seems like your classic textbook listening list, honestly. a lot of the more “public” composers and works of recent were left out. there were a lot of composers forgotten that were just as integral to the 20th century and music today without such an academic or inaccessible sound, such messiaen, some carter, antheil, some late romantics who remained well into the 20th century, ives, barber, crumb, ginastera, and the list goes on forever. you perhaps could have picked some easier stravinsky, such as one of his neoclassical works, or even something like the firebird. or what about the minimalists like riley, reich, adams, etc? oh well, like i said before, the 20th century is extremely varied and there is a lot one can get out of it. hopefully ill get my challenge up in the next couple of weeks, and hopefully mine will be a bit easier.

everything you say is true. especially the part about “classic textbook listening list”. that’s why i assumed it’d be easier.

also, this was just a sampling of some of the music that characterizes the 20th century, naturally. i couldn’t make comprehensive samples in the same way that the people who did the piano listening challenges couldn’t include EVERY noteworthy composer of piano music.

Aargh! After the first listen, I actually pulled out all my CDs with vocal music by Saariaho to compare to track 15, but couldn’t find it. Decided not to make a guess, because the language didn’t sound french to me… I do suck at languages!

I agree with jre90210 that this was quite difficult, even though they were from the textbook list (the textbooks over here would have produced a slightly different list). Perhaps some longer samples would have helped, or then you could have provided more clues instead of revealing the answers. It’s just more fun to compete when you have a chance to score!

i dont know if its really your classic textbook list on second thought. a lot of the selections were quite similar to me. and the textbook listening lists here were pretty well varied from what ive seen. well, like i promised, ill get to work on one of my own. i wont make it too textbook like, but i will include a few of the “textbook greats”, along with some more accessible ones, and a few of my personal favorites.

haha, well, the funny thing is that all those pieces on that list minus one or two are some of my favorite pieces of the era, or at least pieces i like very much…

exceptions being the Partch, Boulez, Feldman, and Benjamin (good piece but not my favorite composer)

could you upload the saariaho, they sound pretty good and i’d like to hear the rest of it