Best recent recs of standard rep

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ll give them a try!

I think Berezovksy may be the absolute worst “famous” pianist currently. I have not seen or heard one performance of his that I didn’t think was either sloppy or a terribly mindless interpretation… But to each is his own

Pimp- Paganini etudes da RAPEKILLAH

Well, as cool as it is to make blanket statements about a pianist’s entire output, you really should open your mind a bit and realize that even the worst pianists - a group in which Berezovsky does NOT belong - tend to have at least a good recording or two. Berezovsky’s Ravel disc is, for the most part, wonderful. As is his recent Beethoven Concerto set on Simax. His Various Live Medtner performances are second to none and his Chopin-Godowsky makes Hamelin’s sound ridiculous. Berezovsky’s Liszt etudes and Liszt Concertos are excellent - and he plays them better live. And while his Rachmaninoff Concertos on CD are sort of lacking, there are several radio broadcasts of him playing the Rach 2nd and 3rd which DON’T suck. Berezovsky’s Islamey rates among the finest ever, his Tchaikovsky Concerto is fresh and interesting, without being overly virtuosic and his Schumann Symphonic etudes from the Tchaik comp is intense and imaginative.

I could go on and on, just as I could go on and on about his bad recordings and his terrible radio broadcasts but really… save statements like this for the guys that actually deserve it.

Respectively, here are the ones I like:

-Beethoven Sonatas: Richard Goode (although not quite as new)
-Concerti: Aimard is nice, and the orchestra sounds GREAT
-Haydn Sonatas: Gilbert Kalish or :doc: if you’re into the latter
Liszt: Any of the Gilels
-Prokofiev Sonatas: For variety from great sets and individual sonatas by Petrov, Sandor, Gilels, etc., Berman’s take with the accompanying book is interesting. It also has a fragment of an unfinished 10th sonata.
Scriabin: :wood:

Perhaps a nicer way to say it would be that I feel that the relationship of his reputation to his skill is more disproportionate than most other pianists in his stratum of public recognition. I’d be lying if I said I heard all the recs you mentioned. Maybe sometime I’ll listen, in the mean time I’ll steer clear… I heard a 4th ballade of his that absolutely made me frustrated…

Says the guy who thinks Pogo is interesting

he always THINKS. i can’t say that it sounds that way when i listen to somebody like berezovsky play that ballade.

pure artiztz dun think 8)

It’s worth investigating Arrau’s 90s recs of the Beethoven sonatas (esp the last three sonatas) and concertos (with Colin Davis). Zimerman’s Liszt sonata is also OK. Buchbinder’s live Mozart concerti are definitely worth purchasing.

May not be so recent, but Guldas Beethoven Sonatas are worth a listen. He recorded the complete set twice, the earlier ones are most interesting.

In the first movement of the moonlight, he uses the sustain pedal throughout blending all the harmonies, but in a tasteful way. At first I couldnt understand what he was doing and it sounded strange, but I grew to like it more. He seems to just hold certain harmonies even though hes sustaining everything, its hard to explain

haha :dong: :dong: :dong:

in response:

8)

ahahaha tru

but tiz zumtymz hard to zay wen da intuition endz n analyziz ztartah

da zepp draw da lyn at:

‘lyk 2 handz fightin’ :dong:

tiz depends u mofo.

moi believe that, for example, if da nutzak thinks harder, his chopets wud sound slightly bettah.

8)

i think i heard something in the schiff lecture about holding the pedal all the way through… in the manuscript it says “Play this whole piece [meaning “movement”] very delicately and without dampers.”
But today’s pianos have a much longer sustain, so it sounds a bit different… although still “moonlighty”. I reckon it’s a bit indulgent to play it like that… another music quote from Earl Wild (I don’t know why, but they seem to be good and in plenty of supply) “Music must firstly be beautiful” (or something like that)…

Yeah, thats true. It is what Gulda does, although not in his second recording.
i thought Earl Wild was supposed to be releaseing a biography at some point a few years ago. I bet that has a lot of interesting stories in it. Id love to hear some of his stories of knowing Rachmaninov and other greats. Im going to email, Michael Roland Davies now and ask.

fo example… :dong: ???