Boulez - mah bad self dun fuckin get it.

This is a topic created to make this forum into a serious forum. Let us see what happens!You can find the exact same topic at piano society:

I like to think of my self as a very open person. Especially concernng classical music. I like pretty much everything from Bach to Ligeti. I do have my favourite(Chopin), but since I am kind of tired of him right now I try to listen to everything exept him at the moment. When I am in mood for light-heartedmusic I listen to Mozart, When I want something “grandeur” I listen to the Liszt sonata etc.

I also like classical music from the 20th centery from the early late romantics(sounds a bit stange to put early and late next to eachoter) and impressionst to the composers that are inspired by folk music such as Bartok, Ginastera, Rzewski,Saygun(Ahmet Adnan. I have no idea why his music is so unknown) and many norwegian composers you have never heard of. And I also like the composers from the 2. vienna school such as Berg( I have only heard his sonata opus 1) and Schoenberg. Especially opus 11 and 25. And all those a-tonal composers that Glenn Gould recorded such as Krenek, Valen, Istvan Anhalt, Oskar Morawetz etc. And I like all of the russian composers I know about such as Stravinsky, Prokofiev(my 3rd favourite composer of all time), Shostakovich and Shchedrin. I even like to listen to Xenakis from time to time. I like all of his temes and especially this piece called Evryali but those of his compositions with matematical formulas as name are the most stupid music I have evr heard together with Ligetis symphonic poem fro 100 metrones. Other composers that I like but dont know how to put itno a special “camp” is Messiaen, Ornstein, Barber etc(you see the picture). So when I will com to the point it isn`t as if I hate 20th century classical music.

But one thing I dont understand is what I will call random music. I didnt say that I liked Webern and that is because I find his music completly random. And one thing that is important with music to me is that it should make me feel something, and hopefully that shouldnt be a will to commit suicide or turn off the music. This is the feeling I get when I listen to Boulez music.

Since Boulez is such I cool name I turned on my recording of Pollini playing Boulez2nd piano sonata. And since I also think that most composers write good sonatas I was kind of looking forward to this listening experince. And it was one experience I actually turned it of after 1 minute or so before I said to my self that I should at least give this composer who have such a cool name a try. So I listened to all of the sonata , and that was 29.35 useless minutes of my life. I just couldnt understand anything. It just sounded like some random notes composed by some kind of matematical formula( since I don\t know what serialism is maybe it was). But I decided that yet again that I sould listen to him tomorow. And I did it was just completly boring, almost like a joke. I even started on a new book while I was listeing. Than I said to myself that I shoudl listen to something else by Boulez, my choice fell on a piece called Explosante-fixe. What a cool name, I mean that is probably the coolest title of any music I have ever heard.( say it to your self it sure sounds cool) But sadly like the sonata the title was the best part.

I even went as far as thinking that Boulez was a bad composer. But then I startet to think why the h**l Pollini decided to play this piece at all. Why did he bother learning a piece of this insane difficulity( as I have been told) if he didnt like it. It isnt as if you learn something very difficult and “ugly”. So Pollini must have loved this music. And he isnt the only one, many others have also learn this piece(have any of you?). Or did they only learn it to show that they are "different? While I write this I am feelig a little ridicouless, because I dont want to look/sound like those people who find Prokofievs msuic ugly just because it doesnt sound like Chopin.

I dont want to say that Boulez is a bad composers but I am almost tempted to say so . Is is just me that feel this way? If you like him please dont say that I am stupid try to tell why you like him. The same to you who dont like him, dont write: Boulez is so lame, his music uses dissonace therefore it is stupid

One of the answers that I expect a Boulez-lover to give me is that this sonata is supposed to be difficult and “ugly” because it shoudl remind us of WW2 and the uglyness of that war and therefor we dont need another Chopin nocturne. I can understand that. But one thing we must take in to consideration is that any one who could even consider to learn this piece must have a hell of a technic. Also that person would most likeley(more like 100%) be able to improvise a simmilar piece. After I had listend to this piece three times I did start to improvise a simmilar piece, with alot of dissonance etc. First I played 12 different notes so that the piece didnt have a tonality and after that I just startetd to bang and bang and bang with random pauses and lyrical moments before I put the left hand on the lowest note and the right hand on the top notes and I played that again and again before I put my foot on on the piano and just went crazy. I guess Pollini or a any pianist that are better than me could have dun it much better. But quite honestly I think my improv was better than the sonata.

I would advise evryone to read this to. It makes me feel more welcome

classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=8692

classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=8687

-da Meph

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the the universe.” - Albert Einstein

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

hahahha tru

:cry:

-da Meph

Don`t you guys like my topic? If yes, what is wrong with it?

-da Meph

haha da BULL haff been a a conductah all hiz life n I actually think dat even da Boulez fanz dun lyk hiz piano workz
juzt forget da piano workz if u want to get into da BULL
dl hiz symphonic sheeyat n c

hahahahahaa da mart

But why did Pollini learn the piece? It is probably more difficult than anything Alkan ever wrote, or not?

Maybe I will check out his symphnic pieces, but I am not exeactly in that camp at the moment.

btw did you actually read all of my post. If you did I am greatfull :doc:

-da Meph

i read most of it, but hav nothing to say :slight_smile:

hahahahahaha

Juzt lizzen to it with da zcore in front of you!
You will notize itz actually quite Beethovian.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA DA MEPH!

pli selon pli iz pozzibly mah contemporary piece at diz moment tiz kinda gensui.

i cud send it if u want it? 8) :g: :shrimp:

HAHAH DA BOULEZ.

I dun like bartok or Rzewski cuz randomly I think dey boring… (pardon.)

I recently come across Three movements from da FLAMINGBIRDY by Stravinsky, transcribed for Busoni. Tiz a completely tru piece dat I CLAIM IZ REQUIRED TO BE A TRU PINEZTZ!!!>!>!>!>!!!

shredda diz an old topic :zhreddah:

-da Meph

Hahaha da “Nope”

:stop:

no shit

but still… haff u heard?

send it to mah bad self :zhreddah:

da zonata ofcourze

Zend it to moi auzzi :whale:

he is of course not talking abhout da sonata, but pli son pli,