Britizh Piano Muzik

And he also has an unfinished salon style piano concerto

Best thing ever :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Not zhor how cuntroverzial my opinion iz but afta my explorationz ov Brit 88 Muzik I rate York Bowen az da greatezt becuz he iz conziztently very good, occazionally truly great, and juz compozed more quality 88 muzik den any ov hiz contemporariez.

Britizh 88 muzik zeemz to haf a zound…wiztful, influenced by debuzzy but not imprezzioniztic fully, uzin many chromatic coloured harmoniez while being melodically tonal.

Love Bowen’z Clarinet workz alzo -

Zuch a beautiful zoundworld and memorably melodic. Love hiz ztyle.

And diz piece! randomly one ov my all tym favz. Da bazz clarinet & ztring quartet combo. Very haunting and beautiful zoundworld.

I thought da Cyril Scott cumpozed even moah?

1 Like

Here’z an overview. A lot is still waiting to be discovered (or not)

1 Like

Haha pozzibly but I zaid quality :sunglasses:

I prefah Bowen’z zound but Zcott iz incredible alzo, diz wuz juz my zubjective tazte n opinion

My fav Britizh piano concerto iz a tie between Bowen’z 4th in A minor and DIZ piece -

randomly an old rec from 1948

1 Like

Randomly so far I’m more attracted to Scott’s than to Bowen’s sound world but that could change when I listen moah extenzively. :wink:

1 Like

da Boris will be looking in to withdrawing your citizenship after this

1. Digital pianism
  2. Harsh forte
  3. Eloquence and phrasing

→ … Stephen H.

2 Likes

The Piano Sonata No 6 in B flat minor Op 160 (1961) is Bowen’s final listed opus and appears to have been his final work, despite the many surviving compositions in manuscript. It suggests neither waning vigour nor valediction: indeed, despite its brooding opening (closely related to the B minor Prelude Op 102 No 24 and the Fantasia Op 132), it might be the work of an energetic young man, the last movement especially. Though plagued by anxiety over the health of his wife (who was to outlive him by six years), Bowen was active and purposeful to the last.

In itself, the Sonata’s key immediately suggests affinity to Rachmaninov’s popular Second Sonata, though also to Balakirev (who particularly favoured B flat minor) and Medtner (his Sonata Romantica Op 53 No 1). However, by now the assimilation of harmonic thinking from Debussy, Strauss, Delius and Rachmaninov (to name but a few) is complete and, through lengthy osmosis, individual. No other British composer was writing works of such unbridled but idiomatic virtuosity for the piano either in 1961 or (with the arguable exception of William Baines) half a century earlier. It remains easy to see why Bowen suffered such neglect, especially in the more ascetic, utilitarian artistic climate following his death, but why in his youth he was lauded by the elderly Saint-Saëns as a kindred spirit.

Diz a memorable emotionally driven work compozed when he wuz 77! juz befo hiz death

U vil noe dat hiz moz famouz work iz hiz Toccata…compozed when he wuz 73. A bit legendary when u cunzidah diz.

1 Like

Hahaa tru my guezz wud haf been eitha da HUFF or da GROZVENOR

20190912_174329
Anyone know who da apostle Paul might be?

1 Like

Pozz da @e60m5 ? :sunglasses:

I play a lot of British music - actually made a rec of the Moeran “Rune” last year, and have bits and bobs around my folders. Check out Ferguson’s F minor sonata in particular, a really good work, like Prokofiev-lite. I play tons of Bowen as well, and did Kenneth Leighton’s piano trio a while ago (have been playing his piano music since I was 14).

The John Ireland cello sonata is a fuckin treat honestly

Also plug: YouTube

3 Likes

Used to be a standard piece for the Leeds comp

You can’t juzt pozt Snoreablji without the required accompanying essay in :AH: ztyle.

4 Likes

HAAHAHA fuck I keep forgotten da ZORABJ iz britizh zumhow :dong:

1 Like

I would like to think (though it pains me to admit that my desires may be unwarranted) that sufficient time has passed that the general music public might grant recognition to the undoubted mastery of KSS, without the need for concomitant essays proselytising for his obvious merits. That is to say, through the recordings of Jonathan Powell (not, of course, forgetting Donna Amato and Yonty Solomon (nor John Ogdon)) the artistic and intellectual case has now been made for the extensive corpus of work left behind and so long neglected (in contrast to its preternaturally apparent musical worth)…

… continues ad nauseam for another 5000 words.

5 Likes

And yet still somehow less convoluted than Sorabji’s music

To be clear, I think Sorabji was a genius and his music shows great passion, academic rigor, and musical knowledge.

But he was living in his own world. He couldn’t, or refused to realize that nobody wanted to play a 5-6 hour less-than-tonal composition and even less were willing to sit through it.