Da Rocky

Haha you mean da no-prax, 400 rectals a year whale?

Or da polished suave Tchaik comp winning whale? 8)

Diz da collection tiz from:

dla.library.upenn.edu/dla/pacscl ā€¦ pMsColl440

Woh, in goodish sound too!!

Also, remastered bublitchki ; )

How could they have missed this? Ormandyā€™s private recs, with lots of broadcasts and similarly obviously unavailable material, and no one coming in to contact with it found two discs marked ā€œDA FUCKING RACH HIMZELF PLAYIN DA 88ā€ to be of any interest? Youā€™d think that even the janitor should have spotted that one!

I donā€™t know the full backstory of this, but I first heard about the recording in October 2015 at which time a well known pianist had received a copy he was playing to friends. With all fakes which were still appearing at the time I didnā€™t believe it was authentic for a second and was essentially yes good luck with that, but nonetheless did ask among others the eventual producers of this set what they made of it, who at that time still wasnā€™t aware of the recording. So somewhere around five years after it had been catalogued and transferred no one had yet realized what a find it was. It rather makes me wonder what kind of place U Penn is for holding a collection like this!

Oh well, Iā€™d have to agree the rest in there was underwhelming from a pianophileā€™s perspective. Although I wouldnā€™t say no either to the Serkin or the Rubinsteins.

Woh,

Dang, gonna be in harrisburg in two weeks. would have connected back through U penn territory, maybe pick up some copies of lost masters and an eagles jersey heh

Ugh!

I could have gotten a copy and whored it out on youtube since 2010?

Amassing a total of 1k views?

Sad 8)

Enjoying on the sea :smiley:

Trifonov never played Schumann-Tausig Contrabandistaā€¦ But I listened Yuja in Vienna in 2014 when she did it as an encore and it was fantasticā€¦ Such a easinessā€¦ That was a recital with Schubert-Liszt songs, Schubert Sonata D. 959, a lot of Scriabin and Islamey. I remember also Two for Tea among the encores. Excellent playing, two excellent dresses.

Thatā€™s the program that turned me around on her live. Her articulation on the smuggler was pretty crazy and also musical

Same, it was a great programme. The first recital I heard when I moved here 4 years ago.

And she was actually constantly chaning the program before that Vienna recital! For me, Schubert D. 959 was the highlight of the program.

Yes, especially the slow movement which put me in a daze. Definitely wasnā€™t expecting that when I walked into the hall! This was at Salle Pleyel, which doesnā€™t get used for classical concerts anymore since the philharmonie opened.

It sounds like for a few people that was the peak YW program.

It was the best of the three Iā€™ve heard. Too bad it was in my pre-taping days (although I did get her encore Islamey on my phone). The programme she was supposed to play had Albeniz on it, wish sheā€™d play that now.

Meanwhile, I was listening to more Rachmaninoff and actually found a couple of recordings I didnā€™t like; Tchaikovsky November and Paderewski Minuet in G. Both of these were too slow, not sure why he chose these tempi? On the other hand, his playing of his own music is always amongst the greatest on record. I love the slower tempo in Red Riding Hood. Everyone else plays this so fast and inarticulately, while Rachmaninoff barely touches the pedal in large chunks of the piece.

I havenā€™t heard the concerts you did of course, but I actually wasnā€™t that taken by it at the time she played it. I have come to like the Scriabins in retrospect however, which there for once is a good take of even on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHO4Ucw9zL4 I was knocked over by the concerts I attended with her in 2013 of course, but the next thing which had me sit up and take notice was her 2016 Carnegie Brahms & Kreisleriana.

Thatā€™s cool, Iā€™ve never heard her play those before (I donā€™t think).
Reminds me that da mart use to film her concerts in Paris back in the day, but the fucker never posted anything here, only on youtube. 8)

Okay, maybe he did a little. I found some from 2008. 8)

Are you familiar with Luganskyā€™s early studio rec of the RRH? I think he nailed it, and also captured that dark, intimidating tone of the piece so well. Not in that piece, but Rach is such a bare-bones, anti-romantic, ultra logical pianist that I often find his own recordings of his music a bit barren otherwise. I grew up on Richter and Volodos in this repertoire where itā€™s played with a fuller tone, a wider dynamic range and, in AVā€™s case, a more virile kind of romanticism. I think the main thing Rach has going for him is that heā€™s got such a clear rhythm, which isnā€™t lifted out as much with later pianists. Also feel the same about the Paderewski, but I must admit I adore his Troika!

Yeah, did he say anything about her Salle Pleyel 2008 recital? I had a friend on visit there who made a recording from the parking lot outside the hall essentially, but I came across a list from someone just earlier this year who had a video of the recital! I never did get in touch with him, or havenā€™t yet at least, but Iā€™d love to see that due to the early Scrib-4 in particular which I loved when she did it here last spring.

I think the most extraordinary thing about all this might be that they managed to keep it a secret in spite of your presence on the internet! I canā€™t recall when I had it confirmed, but it must have been some time in 2016 and it was also only then I was asked to keep quiet about it, meaning there was a period of at least 6-12 months when people were talking openly about it. Although given the exceedingly unlikely nature of the recording Iā€™m not sure how far the rumors ever spread, but there was a time over a number of months there when just more and more info came as more people heard the recording and inquired about its origin and it actually began to look like it might be real.

Iā€™m watching it now and it seems fairly complete. The first book of Brahms paganini is missing, and I havenā€™t checked the ā€œscriabin medtner stravinskyā€ file yet but it could still be of interest to you and others. The quality is 2008 level, so not quite Zepp 2004 but not great either. Still, he was actually a pretty good filmer. I canā€™t remember what he said about it since it was so long ago. If he still filmed we could team up and Iā€™d grab the sound while he gets the footage. I think he still lives here and obviously he posts from time to time (I mean, he still pays for this site as far as I know). Heā€™s such a mysterious mofo, though. Anyway, Iā€™ll upload these files for you guys. I donā€™t think heā€™d mind. He could also go back into his archives and reupload in better quality (Alexis stp, si tu passes par lĆ ). 8)