Generally considered master/popular works you dun like

3 poons out of 5 8)

:brotha: 2 is my favourite symphony. Especially love Karajan’s recording, the pace of the first movement is outstanding. It’s also very effective in the :pimp: transcription.

It’s rare to meet somebody who likes :brotha: 2 da best! :slight_smile:
Karajan is great, I also like Szell/Cleveland

Drama – they’re very dramatic. The ones you mention are beautiful but at least on the surface less wild.

Well yes, but the dramatic, heroic aspect is just one part of Beethoven’s style - and especially associated with c minor.
I love that side as well, but more in his piano sonatas and string quartets than in his symphonies. That I’m not very fond of no. 9 is mainly because of the last mvmt…

oh man, I love the last movement except for the turkish march.
I even wrote an essay on it in school. :brotha:

Haha, it’s weird but I can’t really appreciate it…refuse to see it as “the central artwork of Western music”…
Like to read your essay one day, maybe it’ll change my mind. :wink:

plex13.quickbox.io/nextcloud/in … #pdfviewer

I’ve actually posted it once before but I don’t think anyone read it.
It’s an undergraduate essay, so take it for what it’s worth.

Ok, thanks!

The stormy and dramatic is the archetypal image of :brotha: so it’s quite easy to see why they’re the most popular.
You’re not alone with the last mov of the 9th. Mark Anthony Turnage (and my teacher) have issues with it.

There’s always 1 mov I’m always meh about in the symphonies except for 2 (thinking about it, 3 as well now), so viewing it that way, it would be my favourite except 7 has my all time fav 1st mov and and the transition into the last mov of 5…
We played a game where you play the end of the 3rd mov of 5 with your player on shuffle. It’s hilarious! :lib:

I thought this would be a more cuntraverzial topic.
So far, only ballade 4 (which being TM is to be expected) and :brotha: 9 which is not as cuntraverzial as people think.

I reckon not liking masterpieces is often just because you haven’t listened to it enough to really understand it. For things like the fourth ballade, the problem I have is that I dislike the way most people play it.

the 2 chopin concertos

and basically most liszt except the b min sonata and a few rando pieces here and there

Amen!!

Um…
Ok, I won’t say sheeyat

it’s ok man you are already playing enough liszt to make up for all the liszt i won’t play in my life 8) balance in the universe

and there are more than enough pianists making up for us not playing the chopin concerti haha :dong:

Hahaha!

How’s Korea? 8)

humid, monsoon weather