Great pianist who didn't/don't play Schumann

:slight_smile:

I don’t see any reasons on keeping Tureck recs. All her vids from VAI are just terrible plus her recs are nothing special at all. even her WTC, i can name at least 10 pianists who are superior. I can only rate her playing, at most, as mediocre. ppl praise her playing just like how some praise brendull.

but oh well, these 2 are presented in the great pianists series.

how wonderful…

:unamused:

Agree with Kritty about Tureck.

IMO her playing is far too cerebral and only serves to bore.

:whale: :whale: :whale:

I’m with Canadian on this one - Tureck did some marvelous things, but they tend to be before the 60s, when some health problems (and personal egomania, I suspect) stiffened up her playing style. Gould listed her as a major influence, so calling her shit is silly.

Interested to hear that about Hewitt - I stopped listening to her after seeing a vid of her playing Ravel that was so stiff and lacking control that I turned it off.

I’m sure that every major artist studied Schumann in their life, but it’s not a requirement to play it in public if you don’t relate to the music. I knew someone who had a major rep as a Schumann player based on recordings, but it turned out he couldn’t put together 2 programs of his music when asked. Kentner wrote that he thought Schumann was music for young performers. Perahia, who was a superb Schumann pianist in his 20’s has admitted to burning out a bit.

TUrok’s blood effects, love em.

tru tha 64 live foevah

praising her isn’t any better.

Well I don’t care what you say. I like some of her early recs a lot. I would not rate any of them among my favourites, but they are quite good.

Saying Tureck is terrible when you’ve only listened to like 2 or 3 of her recordings is a bit shameful. Yes her 1995 Goldberg Vars is really slow and boring, but her early Paganini etudes are impressive and her Mendelssohn Scherzo from ‘A Midsummer night’s dream’ is excellent.

The Live Bach WTC on BBC Legends is quite decent, and the Bach WTC on DG is not bad at all. Plus there

i doubt if u REALLY have more recs of her than I do.

anyway, it’s subjective. just like how you hate schiff bach, while others like him.

take it to tha primuz thread fuckahz 8)

[url]http://www.dasdc.net/t/primuz/11295/1]

:gav: