If music were a pile of logs

I’ve often tried to explain why I think so many modern pianists are musically inadequate (though technically superb), and the best way I can come up with is through a comparison with photography. If we imagine a piece of music is a photograph (of a logpile, say), we can choose to bring out certain aspects of the music in our interpretation just like a photographer can bring out details of a scene through exposure.

So, he could expose for the sky at the expense of the foreground:
dark

He could expose for the foreground at the expense of the sky:
bright

Or he could average out:
mid

And even in 1838, they had an undoubted command of the medium:
boulevard

And there were dudes in the 1930s who were knocking out stupendous work:
adams

But nowadays, we know that all that detail is in there so we want to see it all the time, and we have the technique to do so: we have a new exciting option on our smartphones, High Dynamic Range (HDR). This means we can expose and focus for everything simultaneously:
hdr

When it’s done properly, it can be very effective, if slightly artificial:
decent

But when it’s done badly, it’s awful:
KeynoteScreenSnapz001-480x318

HDR-example-exterior

All the detail is there, in the right places, and the composition is unchanged - but it’s clearly not right. By making every detail equally important a sense of the logic of the image has been lost.

I think a vast majority of modern pianists play like an HDR photograph, a few well, but most badly. It’s what happens when your technique is so good you can do anything so you want to do everything. In the past they used to have taste and technique was subservient to that.

But in the same way that youtube and snapchat have become how the young now experience the world, by default using filters that are more and more outlandish, our music-making has become the same.

Who’s to say what is ‘right’? What was right in 1830 wasn’t right in 1880, and what was right in 1900 wasn’t right in 1930 and so on…

TL;DR

But like every conservative ever, “I may not know much, but I know what I like,” and I don’t like HDR. I like my photographs - and my music - to be a view of a scene. Not the whole scene as it ever was and ever could be, just the view today. That’s what Kempff gives me. That’s what Gould gives me. But it’s not what Trifonov or Grosvenor give me.

4 Likes

Great post, and you make a great point in that a large part of interpreting a piece is in discerning the hierarchy of importance of each and every note. They are far from created equal and being an SJW for the equal rights of every note fucks up modern interpretations :sunglasses:

1 Like

tru da bezt interptahz alwayz make zhor certain notez r pre-marked fo extermination :hitlah: :ztalin: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

FUCKKKKK

or at least fo

Rape :tm:

1 Like

It was interesting to read – I hardly know anything about photography. I tend to associate playing & music with telling stories. Just like there’s a difference between Hollywood’s cookie-cutter CGI crap and auteur-level film, you get something like that from pianists who are technically brilliant but couldn’t personalise a story for sheeyat. Do music academies teach dramatisation and its associations? That would be very useful. I especially feel this way re: Chinese pianists who seem not to get it, i.e. notes not life.

I like that - modern pianists want to be Thor hurling Mjölnir whereas the older ones just wanted to be human :sunglasses: