Strauss Paraphrases & Transcriptions

Wtf?

It is GENSUI but da climax a mild letdown

Let moi illustrate
:eggplant: :droplet: :roll_eyes:

Me neither. I suppose it depends on your strengths. DJ has that long chromatic thirds passage which always scared me (think thereā€™s one in chords too, canā€™t remember exactly). Figaro has a fair amount of thirds too, but theyā€™re all descending iirc, and I always found those easier. Figaro has a lot of those alternating chords technique, which Iā€™ve never worked on much (thereā€™s a little in Rach 1 but thatā€™s virtually it from the pieces Iā€™ve played). Musically, DJ is better music, even if the la ci darem la mano variations go on too long. Figaro, you can treat as a pure etude, you probably canā€™t with DJ.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a big fan of the extended middle sect of the Fingaro (sic), da Petri cuts some of it and it is better that way, imho

I suppose with that piece, you have more of a carte blanche to do what you want.

Tru, even moreso cuz tiz a heavy Busoni reworking anyway

I think DJ > tanned ho, but thatā€™s largely because the last third of tanned ho goes on and on and on, imo.

1 Like

Fwiw, this is my favourite Strauss parasheeyat. Not the best, my favourite. Important distinction :wink:

2 Likes

I think theyā€™re hard to compareā€¦ One is a paraphrase, the other a transcriptionā€¦

They say. Not that Iā€™ve heard the originals. :nerd_face:

Very nice.

Plus I have a pet theory that Wagner works less well when replicated on the piano, because thereā€™s more colour to lose than with Mozart, bel canto, or whatever.

Bellini imo is absolutely perfect for paraphrase and transcription.

This had me thinking btwā€¦ I completely agree with Steve above that Strauss paraphrases are their own little mini genre, but who started it? Must have been Tausig, no?

Yes, I would say so.

I have a soft spot for this one. Itā€™s not very subtle, but amusing and diverting in its own way.

He died in 71, so I guess his are from the 60s. That should predate SchĆ¼tt, GrĆ¼nfeld & Co, and if there are any still earlier I think itā€™s safe to say they went by largely unnoticed (isnā€™t there one by Alf Jaell, btw?).

Tausigā€™s do feel early and a bit barren compared to next genā€™s, but yet I do think they set the tone for the genre. Odd no one has played the 4th and 5th, and odd so few play Wahlstimmen which I really like.

Another favourite, nice to see actually it as opposed to just hearing it:

1 Like

I agree, although as far as Wagner trannies go the Tannhauser overture is the best imo. Take Liebestod as a counter example, that one sounds terrible on the piano in comparision to the original (it also sounds terrible when played immediately following the prelude, but thatā€™s for another topic).

:rage::rage: can of worms time!

I LOVE the Liebestod tranny.
And recording it properly was one of the musical high points of my life.

De gustibus, etc, and all that :sunglasses::laughing:

2 Likes

I agree with Steve too. Waitā€¦who is Steve? :sunglasses:

Most prolific in this genre may be Schutt -

https://imslp.org/wiki/Concert_Paraphrases_on_J.Strauss%27s_Waltz_Motifs(Sch%C3%BCtt,_Eduard)

14 in this collection.

Looks like he did a few Wagner ones too @festinfurious that you may be interested in.

I think Comme prefers Mr Turnbull. Just donā€™t call him Stephen. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Iā€™ll call him Stephanie while he has that avatar.

2 Likes