The borderline between awesome tech and ELITE tech

Zen & the art of playing da 88… yes you have to constantly overcome mechanical/physical limitations to be able to produce this dazzling display of speed on demand in the most difficult pieces - but the parodox is that you can do that best by striving to spiritualize “technique”, by making it purely mental after the artisanal part has become like a second nature. Great faith is also needed. Like :rectum: once said, at the spur of the moment you have to believe that you can walk on water…

Very true. With this wisdom in mind you can avoid falling into the trap of idolizing one particular pianist too much.

Yes Liszt also said tech comes from spirit. And it is true, but you also can’t separate them completely. I have problems playing Godowsky’s LH transcription of Op.10#5 for instance since my fingers simply aren’t strong enough. I keep wiggling and rotating my hand to compensate and get striking position from more favourable and better balanced angles. But once you’ve got a strong and pliant hand, it’s only mind & imagination which limits what can be done with it.

eh…dun mean to throw shade, but "if I had a strong and pliant ___iz sorta my point. da VOL crackah calves would be dunkin ferom da 3pt line if he wuz mike jordan

Yes, but I think it somewhat comes by itself if you play 10 hours a day, + good early instruction.

But, yeah - it’s the point I’m making as well. Tech comes from spirit, but only if you’ve got the physical tools to execute, which need to be developed as well.

1 Like

Da TRU tech mofoz still go fo SOUND ovah any dex zheeyat

Hear all da HO 60’s n 70’s recs which sound raped n innacurate in da close mic but wikidly smooth n GENZUI in da audience bootlegs

This good example. Felt as Ho aged and mechanics declined he was making a conscious effort to sacrifice mechanical element for clarity and projection. There a million examples of this in passage work alone. When it fits though when he should be completely physically unable you get closing scales of valse caprice and your like WTF!! Conversely da Doc favor chill even playing in concert so even crazy stuff a bit “bring a book” live but slick in recs

1 Like

Tru, you see da old ho hands fuckup upclose but in da hall da Ho voodooo tech produce a smooth gensui sound

1 Like

I’d be interested in hearing alternate sources of the same performance which prove what you’re talking about. You can’t just magically hide fuckups due to how your sound projects.

1 Like

I will post up an example tru… the difference is like night n day aiiiite

TM it’s called EDITING :slight_smile:

No no, not on that one… hold on!

Ok, da Scherzo n March rec - he played in only once

The official upclose rec sounds clunky, hands not together n juz a bit sub ho level

Da audience tape sounds great!
Da Ho knew which details are essential

There you go - a comparison

Definitely unedited as he played it only once in public… and there were no studio session at all that year.

Da up close version sounds all clunky

In da audience tape, da level of articulation is just perfect and all da details project. N da zheeyat dat sounded fucked up close - did not matter at all

Now DAT - is Elite tech vs mechanics.

3 Likes

:tm:

1 Like

What?

It’s not the same rec?
Idk, I’m not off base here, the upclose rec is really not my cup of tea…

I’m not saying there are less wrong notes etc in da audience tape, I’m saying dat all da uneven fucked clunky sheeyat actually does not matter at all in da acousdicks

Rezpek da HO VOODOO TECH AIIIITE

the articulation is perfect and the zheeyat dat sounded fucked don’t matter on the audience tape because YOU CAN’T HEAR ANYTHING ON THE AUDIENCE TAPE

:tm:

I agree with you otherwise though, the CBS recs didn’t do him any favours. The well made audience tapes are preferable, but this isn’t one of them.

Who knows, da Friedrice bigdick rep all not documented

This comes to mind. The spastic nature of the commercial recs sounds more like attempts at orchestral contrast and dynamics. The narrative quality of the slower than usual parts only really comes through on the deeper in hall bootlegs.

2 Likes

Da audience tape is better than nothing and not bad compared with the 1969 Boston rectal

Yes and again, the clunky stuff is better out in da Hall