Walter Gieseking discussion thread

I still wanna hear dat Fugue imp-row 8)

I really doubt he improvised a fugue. More like improvised his way out of a jam in a manner consistent with the original work,

I wonder what it sounds like tru.

Pozz like a Noam Sivan baroque impro :ziff: :ziff:

Yeah, that’s what he did. We talked about it here a couple of weeks ago - he lost his way in a DWK fugue and solved it by improvising and modulating his way back to the beginning, where he seamlessly started over again.

I can try to find it, but it would be quite an undertaking… I have 128 recordings of him in DWK fugues. :confused:

HAHAHA, I remember how I just restarted a Prok 6 after a FAKE RUDY on da first fucking page.

never again tru, I should have played sum random nonsense and kept going.
:ziff:

A fake rudy?

Mikhail Rudy of Rach 2 third movement fame.

Damn, first page?
That’s rough.
I was a fan of the “skip to tha next section” tech myself.

Ah. Not heard of it.

Well the good news is that GS wasn’t hard to find at all - I had made a note about it. I’ll show tomorrow, the bed beckons…

I’m actually proud of it.
8) So monumentally stupid not just to play a gliss and go to the second page.
I stopped dead and restarted 8)

[Trumofo'z epic fake-rudy Prick 6 (live) - Membahz recs - Da SDC)

Whut a retard 8)
I listen to this from time to time to remind myself what not to do under any circumstances. That’s the first time I had a memory slip of any sort onstage

The Rudy Rach 2 is here:

OPEN AT YOUR OWN RISK. DIZ IS A SOLEMN WARNING!
And tru, this was on VID at one point so I confirm that the pianist is Rudy, Conductor is Jansons.

brendankinsella.com/Rachmaninoff.mp3

I sent my Prok 6 fuckup to dat mofo too, should be added soon 8)

Randomly there’s that Richter Shostakovich Op87/12 from Moscow 1963 where he loses it and starts over. That’s the only time I’ve seen Richter bail out. The other few times he has a lapse me manages to get back on track just fine.

Interesting how in the 500+ live recordings I’ve heard of Richter, there are only a handful of memory lapses. And most of them are clearly nerves, such as the K595 with Britten :stuck_out_tongue:

Horowitz memory lapses randomly are always insanely good, he usually plays sumrandom CG impro.

I think da key is not to freak the fuck out…
Once you have a first public memory slip and get over da PTSD, it really makes the stage not frightening anymore.

To the point where I sightread sum stuff with violin right on stage… badly, but it was chill as fuck.
A few of the accompanying gigs last year I read through the stuff on stage, with varying degrees of success. 8)

Yeah I remember you posted that recital some time back…
I think it kind of proves that Richter didn’t have a photographic memory - he internalized the music to memorize it.

Maybe that’s why his interps are so direct and go right for the essence of the music with zero fucks given sometimes (his Liszt Mephisto 1 and TE 8 come to mind as 2 of the ballsiest interpretations in the history of recording)

Sleep is for weaklings

youtu.be/H4-DCs5Axk4

I can think of a few more with SR actually… There’s the Udine Tchaikovskys for instance (or whatever happened there), and the most puzzling of all from Rolandseck 1991, where he loses his way over and over and has to stop and retry. I’d guess what happened is that he had lost the score for that concert, and didn’t quite know it well enough by heart to make it through.

The Genoa Ravel concerto too, which is a good thing. That’s why we have two recordings of it!

Rezpec!

I still have the Rudy vid, but I’ve only ever been able to watch it once.
It’s too traumatic.
Randomly, a memo slip never cured my stage fright but at least I knew that I could always get out of them.
Poor Rudy was out of options because it was a concerto.
Buniatishvili had a similar experience during the Rubinstein competition where she missed an entry in the fourth movement of the Brahms 2, although it was still not quite Rudy level.
Sudbin had a lapse in the Scarlatti Sonata in B minor K27 when I saw him, but he did the seemless bar skip technique and got it right on the repeat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jii7kln6df0&feature=youtu.be

Unlisted, don’t share this around.
I feel bad for the guy, but shit happens.